PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use 4 inch pads exclusively?

Pages : [1] 2

wannafbody
01-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Are they the first choice for anyone? I haven`t used mine yet but I think they have a lot of potential uses-tight areas and corrective work.

mc01ta
01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
i LOVE them. Best pad I`ve bought to use with the PC. Its speeds up everything and you can get some major correction with orange pads. I haven`t even had to step up to a yellow pad for scratches, etc. Its a cheap alternative to stepping up to a rotary/flex for correction. Until I can afford one of those, this is a great alternative. The pads cut everything in aleast half the time for correction.

Accumulator
01-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Are they the first choice for anyone? I haven`t used mine yet but I think they have a lot of potential uses-tight areas and corrective work.

IF you mean *by PC*, and for correction, then yeah, that`s me! I only use larger pads on the PC for applying nonabrasive products. Well, except for on the JXS, what with its weird panel contours and soft lacquer.

wannafbody
01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
I was referring to PC use but I`m itching to try them on my rotary as well.

Accumulator
01-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I was referring to PC use but I`m itching to try them on my rotary as well.

I just can`t seem to get decent correction by PC with the larger pads, but the 4" ones are so aggressive I have to be a little careful (I *killed* the clear on the MPV in one spot with just 3M 05933 and a Cyclo polishing pad!).

I really like `em for spot-repairs via rotary. On the Audis it`s the hands-down best way to do RIDS, just *so* much quicker than the PC. But with 4" pads I`ve done some pretty surprising correction on the Audis via PC too, just took a while.

Twista616
01-23-2008, 09:37 AM
ill usually use a 4" pad for the majority of the correction, then use a 5.5" pad for the finishing polish like 106ff...i use both rotary/UDM depending on car...

imported_Detailing Technology
01-23-2008, 10:03 AM
no, I use them with a rotary in specific conditions only. I like them in tight areas, rocker panels, or panels with many creases.

To me a 6" was a tiny pad and a step up, I was using 8" pads since I was 16.

cshorey
01-23-2008, 12:47 PM
I am using 4" exclusively on my PC for correction and large pads for LSP`s.

chris

imported_DetailDan
01-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Right now I like 4" pads no matter what the machine is for correction, then 5.5" CCS blue for finishing.

Radicalrev
01-24-2008, 01:18 AM
so the smaller the pad, the more cutting power it has?

Twista616
01-24-2008, 09:43 AM
so the smaller the pad, the more cutting power it has?

You got it!! Since the 4" pad is smaller in diameter, it has less surface friction than a 5.5 or 6.5 pad...right? The 4" pad spins much faster, creating more heat, so its cuts the clear coat much faster...with a PC/UDM, 4" pads are amazing for correction, on a rotary, a 5.5 pad does wonders...thats just from my experience and I`m sure others will agree...4" pads are must have in your aresenal!

Marj
01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
So, where do you guys purchase your 4" backing plate and pads/

Thanks

imported_Blake
01-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I know AutoGeek has the pads and plates. Do you need a different Counterbalance for your PC?

Accumulator
01-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Do you need a different Counterbalance for your PC?

No. I use the 6" counterweight and it works fine. Note that even a 4" pad (let alone one that`s wet with product) weights a lot more than a single sheet of sandpaper, and that`s what the counterweights were originally matched to.

Since the 4" pad is smaller in diameter, it has less surface friction than a 5.5 or 6.5 pad...right?

Yep. The bigest difference IMO/IME is that you can apply more pressure without the PC bogging down and the effort behind the pad is (more highly) concentrated on a smaller area.

Marj
01-24-2008, 02:52 PM
I know AutoGeek has the pads and plates. Do you need a different Counterbalance for your PC?

I really don`t know. When I got the PC years ago, I unpacked it and just put on the backing plate and went to work. I have read about people and the counterweights but have never found a reason to use one, so I don`t know if I needed one or not.