PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

jswift2000
01-21-2008, 08:37 AM
First, I want to thank everyone who posts here. This is one, if not the, most informative places out there for car detailing. :2thumbs:

I`m using the following:

UDM

Sonus SFX-2 on DAS Orange Pad at speed 5-6

Sonus SFX-3 on DAS Blue Pad at speed 3-4

Topped with Zaino Z5 with zfx

Now my questions. I`m working on a 2003 MBP Acura MDX (its being done in stages - 2 kids + two dogs + wife=very little time) and my results are pretty good for a 1st timer. However, while i was working some thoughts popped into my head:

(1) Is there a hard and fast rule about the amount of time to work the polish in? :rules: All the posts I`ve read say 4-5 mins but I noticed sometimes I only needed three mins - the UDM would start to hop so I stopped there.

(2) Amount of polish - when I first began, I was using about a quater size drop and then dropped it down to 2 -3 peas size drops as the pad got saturated. I figure i`m right on since there is very little dusting but...

(3) How much polishing is too much? My plan is to do this every year or (6 months if needed) and I would assume its safe? THe only paint i`ll be working on for now is Honda/Acura paint.

I know these questions are probably silly but I just want to make sure I have it down pat.

I`m sure i`ll have more question as I do more polishing....

Thanks.

Jeff

kustomsol
01-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Sounds like a plan, but please put at least 2 coats of Z-5 on the car. Then was and use a qd frequently and regularly. But before you polish again, take a good look at it. Z-5, a good qd (Z-6 or Z-8), and taking care of the finish may obviate the need for you to "repolish" very often. Z-5 is a very durable product.