PDA

View Full Version : Need Repair advice for egg damage (pics)

Pages : [1] 2

Downgear
01-20-2008, 08:38 PM
I am a new member but long time reader of autopia and have complete faith in the community. Just a few days ago I completed my traditional mid winter wax on my swirl free immaculate s2000. Last night however some kids decided they wanted to change that by throwing eggs at my car, luckily i washed it off immediately to avoid other damage.

I have done a great deal of research on the topic and i understand the only way to make it 100% perfect again is to repaint. I would however like to keep my factory paint, as the damage is not overly severe and I would prefer factory paint resiliency. My question is what is the best method to repair the damage? Should I just get a toothpick or matchbook and begin dabbing each dot, followed by wetsand and polish? I have a ton of experience buffing with rotary machines and removing swirls, however chips and wet sanding I am not too confident about. Please let me know what is recommended for my poor car.

Pics taken a few days ago after wax:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/files/1046663_c4xqs/internet%20IMG_0391.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/files/1046664_07phb/internet%20IMG_0400.jpg

Pics taken today after egg cleaned off:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/files/1047611_cifsq/egg1.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/files/1047612_6lqcq/egg2.jpg

Downgear
01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
anyone have any advice or is repainting the only option?

stiffdogg06
01-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Looks like it went down to the metal...

I don`t know how experienced you are at filling...

I see a repaint to get that fixed... I feel your pain. My old black civic was egged 2x and has those egg shell bombs on it...:bawling:

elitemobile
01-23-2008, 12:09 AM
hard to tell from the pics but i agree with stiffdog *looks* pretty deep...where are u located maybe someone can come oout and get a better look at it

NCZ13
01-23-2008, 03:27 AM
your paint... looks amazing. it totally pwns everything ive ever done to car...

but yeah... no adive on the egging sorry.

i recently did a detail on a durango, that luckily enough the owner had rinsed off the car right after it had been egged, and i was able to polish it back to life the day after...

tom p.
01-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Egg is seriously bad news. Someone lobbed an egg and hit the windshield of my black car years ago. I figured no big deal...I`d scrape off the frozen egg and that would be that. Boy, was I wrong. There were little bits of spray all over the car from that incident. It was quite permanent...nothing I could to to remove or correct it.

If you search, you`ll find other egg stories. I can`t recal seeing one with a happy ending. Egg does serious and lasting damage - - I`m not really sure why. I tend to agree with stiff, re-paint is likely the method of correction.

jshillin
01-23-2008, 07:47 AM
How long did the egg stay on your car?? It looks like it got really deep.

jshillin
01-23-2008, 08:02 AM
How long did the egg stay on your car?? It looks like it got really deep.

watermantra
01-23-2008, 08:11 AM
I was a kid once. Did stupid stuff similar to this. I wonder if they knew how much damage an egg caused if they would still do it. I think that they just think it`s as harmless at TP rolling a house...just a mess for someone to clean up.

Regardless, I`ve had my car egged here...usually happens the first day out of school! I got it off quickly (next morning) but it left semi-permanent marks, similar to bird poop spotting. Luckily, it did the most damage in a very inconspicuous area. Over the past year of polishing it has been reduced to the point that I know have to get at the right light to even find it. I think that for you, if you are meticulous, you could lessen its effects with a combination of polishing and touch-up. I`d say be very patient and do one section at a time...maybe the hood one week, the truck the next...so forth. I don`t think you`ll ever entirely get rid of the evidence without repainting, though. Worth a try, in my opinion.

imported_JoshVette
01-23-2008, 08:54 AM
If it were my car, I would at least start by buffing out what scratches I could, maybe even go over it with a cutting pad and compound, then go back over it with a less agressive combo and see what it will take out then fill the rest with touch up paint.

If those big chips are too deep though, you can touch them up and hopefully it won`t look so bad, but if you`re really maticulous about your car like I think you are then you probably will never really be happy with it again unless it`s repainted.

imported_Jakerooni
01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
touch up and wetsanding is not hard. It`s highly effective and you might freak out by the initial sight of it all but rest assured if you know how to use a rotary wetsanding will be a breeze. I would definatly wet sand that fill and wetsand again buff it back out to a crystal clear shine long before I would even consider taking it to a paint shop.

Setec Astronomy
01-23-2008, 09:18 AM
No one seems to have really condensed this...there are two types of damage caused by eggs, one is the progressive paint chipping caused by the edge of the shell as it disintegrates, leaving the characteristic pattern of chips. The other is the chemical staining done by the contents of the egg, if it is left on the car.

Downgear, I am truly sorry that someone felt they had to damage your fantastic looking paint. However, it seems this is the time for you to gain experience with touch-up and wetsand! The worst that can happen is you redo it a few times (a laquer thinner wipe will remove the fresh touch up paint without damaging the factory paint citation needed) And if you still don`t like it, then you can always go for a repaint.

imported_weekendwarrior
01-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Here are my thoughts - I would try to wetsand it, before getting a repaint - worst case, you screw up and you have to get it repainted (which is where you may end up anyways).

However, if the repaint would be handles as an insurance claim, you will want to fully document the condition of the paint before you start wetsanding it. I would even have it looked at by an adjuster before doing the wetsanding, and have them verify that it is in fact egg damage. You will probably need a police report as well.

Setec Astronomy
01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Excellent point about getting the insurance adjustment before starting any work.

watermantra
01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Excellent point about getting the insurance adjustment before starting any work.

Agreed. But, would getting a quote put a mark on the title for this sort of thing?