PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Rubber (?) Residue

AdamCKach
01-19-2008, 09:48 PM
I recently purchased some PIAA wiper blades to replace the ones I had on there since, well, a long time ago. When the windshield is wet, I can see the wiper track as well as the stop point (for the right wiper) in the center of the windshield. Specifically, where the stop point is located, it appears that rubber (or whatever the Bosch blades were made of) built up.

I realize I can`t remove wiper scratches, etc. from over time, but I`d like to make the windshield as "pure" as possible before I put on the silicone blades. This includes removing any residue from the previous blades.

Would hitting the windshield with Sonus 3 + the 3 pad remove it? And should I worry about swirling the glass? In my searches, it seemed that swirling was the most feared outcome, but folks also seemed to use a harsher polish than I plan to use or a true glass polish (i.e., Zaino`s).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! :waxing:

mikered30
01-19-2008, 11:55 PM
I recently purchased some PIAA wiper blades to replace the ones I had on there since, well, a long time ago. When the windshield is wet, I can see the wiper track as well as the stop point (for the right wiper) in the center of the windshield. Specifically, where the stop point is located, it appears that rubber (or whatever the Bosch blades were made of) built up.

I realize I can`t remove wiper scratches, etc. from over time, but I`d like to make the windshield as "pure" as possible before I put on the silicone blades. This includes removing any residue from the previous blades.

Would hitting the windshield with Sonus 3 + the 3 pad remove it? And should I worry about swirling the glass? In my searches, it seemed that swirling was the most feared outcome, but folks also seemed to use a harsher polish than I plan to use or a true glass polish (i.e., Zaino`s).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! :waxing:

Try using clay or alcohol to remove the residue.

imported_truzoom
01-20-2008, 12:50 AM
I believe this just happens to most cars. The track where the wipers wipe will have worn down the glass more than the surrounding glass.

I`ve gone as far as using powdered Bar Keeper`s Friend on my windshield and while it did clean the glass, the wiper track is still noticeable when it rains.

AdamCKach
01-20-2008, 07:32 PM
I`ve used clay in the past, but not alcohol. The wipers include alcohol wipes as part of the installation preparation. I`ll give both a shot--once it gets a little warmer outside.

I`m also considering replacing the windshield. My current one, which came with the car, is fairly well chipped, scratched, etc. from PA winters (the wiper fluid seems to spray a 1/2 second too late, after the wipers start wiping). I can get a new one through an OEM parts supplier for about $200. I have to check with auto glass shops for an install price, however.

Thanks folks.

imported_TheFiveO
01-20-2008, 07:56 PM
If I can add my 2 cents. I use the white pad that comes with the PC7336 and either the Sonus Glass polish or my favorite, Autoglym glass polish...PC at about 4.5 setting