PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Cleaning, plz help

imported_spielnicht
01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
This is my first year in an apartment and it`s been so, so , so hard to maintain my cars the way I like. Thank God the parking garage is covered at least. The water at the apartment car wash area is shut off in the winter for 4 months.

I try to make it to the self car wash once a week, but with cold weekends, it goes for two weeks. However, once I go that extra week, my wheels gets trashed and the brake dust just bakes in. This is both on the X-Type and S40, but the S40 much less. The X-Type wheels now look horrible. I bought a bottle of wheel cleaner/polish (blue nasty ammonia smelling stuff) from Pep Boys, I scrubbed the inside of the wheels (rough surface), but I accomplished very little, nothing near good. The S40 faired better since the surface is a little more smooth.

What`s the best way to clean the wheels and remove all the baked dust from the rough surfaces and inside of the wheels? Just as well, what`s the best way to keep non smooth surfaces clean all the time? Will wax (e.g. AIO ) work?

jshillin
01-17-2008, 12:13 PM
A good wheel cleaner will help you immensely. A lot of people like P21S gel and I`ve heard a lot of good things about the Surf City Garage wheel cleaner. I have some of the SC cleaner, but haven`t had a chance to use it. Just spray your cleaner on, let it dwell, agitate with your wheel brush, rinse and dry.

gmblack3
01-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Poorboys spray and rinse will get everything off without scrubbing. But I would not use it all the time. You need to clean, then use a good AIO product and sealant. I use ZAIO and Z2pro on them. Then they will come clean with a simple wash.

baseballlover1
01-17-2008, 03:18 PM
Thought about claying them with an aggressive clay? Is that a bad recommendation?

blownvert
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
megs wheel brightener, let it sit for 30 seconds or so most of it will come off if not all.

Joseph K
01-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Get them really clean, then seal them with a wheel sealant (Poorboy`s is nice). It won`t keep crap from building up on there, but it will make it a whole hell of a lot easier to get it off when the time comes to clean them.

BigAl3
01-17-2008, 09:26 PM
EO1 all wheel & tire cleaner has not done me wrong and works very well (also works great in the wheel wells) IME. they make several different wheel cleaners, so find the one that is appropriate for your wheels... Wheels & Metal (http://eagleone.com/pages/products/category.asp?cid=5006)

jgh1987
01-17-2008, 09:27 PM
like mentioned above, I would get them super clean and apply a coat of Poorboy`s wheel sealant (multiple coats would mean even more protection)

Poorboy`s World Wheel Sealant - Detailed Image (http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=1055&url=detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/Wheel-Sealant-P40/)

I recommend the site above, very good customer service if you have any questions

rothaus
01-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Check out this cleaner, it`s waterless car wash and also work for break dust

YouTube - waterless magic 3 wheels soapysmooth carmagic.com.au (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVOKgIyboq0&feature=related)

Cheers

Engelbert

matrix_808
01-18-2008, 12:04 AM
if you protect the wheel with a sealant or wheel wax. The next time you go to clean it with like P21s gel will it strip the wax/sealant on the rim?

i just assume that since its cutting away at the break dust it must be eating away at the LSP.

Joseph K
01-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Just clean them with car wash soap and hot water... the brake dust, etc. won`t be embeded/attached to the surface of the wheels, it will be on the surface of the coating, and should come off with a light scrub down.

SuperBee364
05-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Check out this cleaner, it`s waterless car wash and also work for break dust

YouTube - waterless magic 3 wheels soapysmooth carmagic.com.au (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVOKgIyboq0&feature=related)

Cheers

Engelbert

Believe it or not, this video is of *gasp in surprise* more Nature`s Way spam.:beware