PDA

View Full Version : Melting carnauba paste wax?

scooch
07-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Has anyone ever melted a carnauba paste wax before? More specifically Natty`s? When I recieved my order of Natty`s it was broken in a few large pieces and a lot of smaller pieces...doesnt spread evenly and get small chunks on car. I was thinking of melting the wax and reforming it but I am wondering if the wax will loose any of its properties? I was planning on melting the wax over a double boiler slowly. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

mgm2003
07-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Has anyone ever melted a carnauba paste wax before? More specifically Natty`s? When I recieved my order of Natty`s it was broken in a few large pieces and a lot of smaller pieces...doesnt spread evenly and get small chunks on car. I was thinking of melting the wax and reforming it but I am wondering if the wax will loose any of its properties? I was planning on melting the wax over a double boiler slowly. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I would call Steve at Poorboys and ask him. I would not heat the wax because the solvents can catch fire for starters.

Poorboy
07-14-2005, 01:58 PM
yes you can do that...your delivery guy must have been pretty rough with the box to have that happen:eek

tubafeak
07-14-2005, 02:05 PM
Be careful about it, open flame or an electric burner would be bad. Use a double broiler or something so your wax doesn`t reach it`s flash point.

scooch
07-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks Poorboy and mgm2003....yeah it almost looks like he/she was kicking it around like in the orginial Ace Ventura movie in the beginning :lol The sad thing is I bought 2 and it happened to both. :boohoo So there are no solvents in Natty`s that would catch fire as mgm2003 states?

Poorboy
07-14-2005, 02:10 PM
just heated up until it melts in the double boiler....you can heat upto about 210* but I would stop as soon as it is all melted~185*.....then pour it back..let it cool out in open

scooch
07-14-2005, 02:11 PM
I was planning on melting the wax over a double boiler slowly.

tubafreak thanks I am going to be very careful with it. :bigups

scooch
07-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks again Poorboy I have some melting to do. :jump

scooch
07-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Melted down 2 tins of Natty`s last friday using the double boiler method (2.5 quart pot with large glass bowl on top) and constently stirred the wax until completely melted with a wooden spoon. Poured the wax back in the tins and 2 hrs later I had 2 solid pieces of nattys wax. :bigups Ease of application the same as before. Thanks.

Poorboy
07-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Great for you scooch, I know others have done it, and my chemist had said it would be no problem as long as it didn`t overheat, which you obviously paid attention to, and now it`s back to normal:)

JeffM
07-18-2005, 02:49 PM
I would have set it out side in the sun wrapped in tin foil.

First anyways...