PDA

View Full Version : Finesse-It II Or ?????

Craigmri
01-15-2008, 08:05 PM
I would love to hear why I should not buy Finesse-it II to prep my paint after claying. On my new Hyundai Veracruz(Black metallic) I have minor fine scratches from poor delivery detailing. I will be applying with PC 7424. Is there a better product available? I would love to hear someones opinion who have tried this as well as other polishing compounds.

Craig

wannafbody
01-15-2008, 08:55 PM
I would avoid the PF2 rubbing compounds. They contain silica quartz. Research it-it is a carcinogen.

Tex_Ag_2003
01-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Craigmri, I would also avoid that compound but for another reason. I use it by hand to polish down touch-up paint and scuff marks and it works very well, but it also works very quickly. So you may want to try something less abrasive on your new, black car before going to a polishing compound like that, especially if you are going to use a machine. The Finesse-It II may cut too deep and too fast to be useful and may cause more harm than good. I had a buddy of mine use either that compound or one slightly more aggressive and he pretty much polished off his clear coat on the hood of his car.

And wannafbody, I must have one of the older bottles of Finesse-It II because the only abrasive in it is Aluminum Oxide. But either way, I suppose that both aluminum oxide and silica quartz probably aren`t the best things to breathe when they become airborne during polishing.

Invigor
01-15-2008, 10:52 PM
It`s not a crime to wear a respirator while polishing ya know..

If you want a 3M polish, I`d give Finesse-It III Machine Glaze 05937 a try. It`s super stuff. It`s in the light range of cut and glosses up very nice.

And pretty much everything to do with the paint on cars is bad news for your body...

wannafbody
01-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Finesse it and Perfect it are different lines(I misread his post). BTW aluminum oxide isn`t a health hazard.

Junebug
01-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Without seeing the car, I`d say use Menzerna Final Polish II or 3M UltrafinaSE. Both are excellant finishing polishes.

imported_weekendwarrior
01-16-2008, 08:02 AM
I always thought the Meguiar`s 83 and 80 were good polishes for a newby. The 80 is pretty mild, has decent play time, and finishes nicely. Not to mention, the Meguiar`s polishes are pretty inexpensive, so if you waste some while learning, it isn`t the end of the world.

imported_Jakerooni
01-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Yea as far as 3M goes finesse it III and the perfect it lines are where you need to be. But there are very comparable products out there at a much lesser hit to the pocketbook.

Accumulator
01-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I tried FI-II back when everybody here was using it (circa 2000 or so). I wasn`t really impressed with it and I gave it away, preferring 1Z or 3M`s PI-III line.

As for the silica content, *IIRC* the PI-II FCRC is the product you need to watch out for. I don`t recall a silica warning on the FI-II series and there are *no* such issues with the PI-III line.

There appears to be a little confusion about what product in in which 3M line, understandable as they sure have made a scad of `em. The ones of this type that I`ve had on the shelf:

FI-II = 05928 (in the pint bottle IIRC)

PI-II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound = 39002 (in the pint bottle)

PI-III Rubbing Compound = 05933

PI-III Machine Glaze = 05937

99blackSE
01-16-2008, 06:12 PM
A silicone free polish would be free of this silica quartz correct? I just have Menz and OPT but I believe both of them are silicone free.

Junebug
01-16-2008, 08:17 PM
I don`t think silicone and silica quartz are related - but hell, I ain`t no chemist. It will be on the label though.

wannafbody
01-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Silica Quartz is a type of mineral abrasive- the issue according to OSHA is that if any of the silica quartz particles are breathed they can become lodged in the lungs cause scarring (silicosis) and cancer. The body isn`t able to break the silica quartz down. I`d simply avoid the potential issue and use the PI 3 or 3000 lines.