PDA

View Full Version : Surface rust???

Pages : [1] 2

slvr-bullet
01-12-2008, 11:49 PM
This started happening this winter and I try to keep the car as clean as possible (use Zaino stuff after every wash).

I`m not sure if the rust around the actual centre rust spot is surface rust. How can I remove this myself (if possible) and stop it from rusting?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/slvr-bullet/rust.jpg

Thanks

jshillin
01-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Take it to a body shop and get it fixed man. You can do it yourself, but it will take some work, tools and materials. Sand, sand, sand, self etching primer, possibly glaze, primer sealer, base coat, clear coat.

Setec Astronomy
01-13-2008, 09:37 AM
It`s hard to tell from that shot, but that might be rusting through from the inside, which means it`s a lot worse than it looks and a body shop repair is indicated. If it is from the outside, you ought to be able to sand it, put some rust conversion stuff on there, prime, paint, etc., but it will likely be a noticeable repair.

David Fermani
01-13-2008, 09:40 AM
The only way to repair this is to cut it out or replace the entire panel ~ which ever is most cost effective.

Setec Astronomy
01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
The only way to repair this is to cut it out or replace the entire panel ~ which ever is most cost effective.

There`s the guy you should listen to.

Accumulator
01-13-2008, 02:01 PM
It`s hard to tell from that shot, but that might be rusting through from the inside, which means it`s a lot worse than it looks

-AND-

The only way to repair this is to cut it out or replace the entire panel...

Does sorta look like it`s blistering from a rust-through, huh? Being right near the inner lip/ledge at edge of the panel is a good clue that this is more serious than it looks.

This is a good example of how trapped dirt can retain moisture, leading to serious corrosion problems. With all the emphasis on defect removal/LSPs/etc. here, I often fear that the importance of *thorough* washing gets overlooked. Cleaning those out-of-sight areas can make all the difference.

For the time being, just claying off the obvious rust (or using something like AutoInt`s "B") and then treating the (outside/accessible) point of rust-through with a converter and some touchup paint will at least render a superficial cosmetic improvement. I`ve done that on hideously rusted-out service loaners and it held up OK for a month or two...and looked better than having a big rust spot.

Mark77
01-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Looks like it`s coming from the inside, not good. I find it strange that so few ask about rust here.

aboveclean
01-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Few detail rusty cars.

Joseph K
01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Replace the whole panel... better safe than sorry IMO. No point in paying for the whole panel to be sanded down and repainted, when it could just come right back (unless pre-sealed with something like POR-15). I`d just replace it all though...

slvr-bullet
01-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all your input guys. I just want a quick fix at the moment because I intend to get the whole car repainted in the future.

I might do the clay thing just so that it doesn`t look bad. That whole side of the car (passenger) looks clean and smooth and then you see this hideous rust spot. Drives me crazy.

Btw, it`s on the panel by the wheel well on the rear passenger side.

David Fermani
01-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I just want a quick fix at the moment because I intend to get the whole car repainted in the future.

Here`s 1 suggestion:

MAACO Auto Paint & Auto Body Repair Service (http://maaco.com/)

Btw, it`s on the panel by the wheel well on the rear passenger side.

Ouch! Not the quarter panel. :shocked That`s a BIG job to replace those.....

kaval
01-13-2008, 06:00 PM
yeah dude, replace the panel. If you`re going to have the car repainted in the future, getting the new panel now shouldn`t hurt. Plus if you maintain the car properly before the paint job, that panel should be ok.

Is this on your accord?:|:|:|

slvr-bullet
01-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah, it`s the 1/4 panel.

No, don`t tell me that :( Is there any other way instead of replacing the whole panel...I mean just for that spot? everything else seems perfect.

It`s on a `96 civic hatch.

David Fermani
01-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I don`t suggest replacing a section on your 1/4. Bad idea/improper repair. It`s actually more work making sure the patch is perfect in the middle of a panel instead of at the intended seam. Before you decide to put this kind of money (heavy rust repair + repaint) on your car, I`d check to see if it`s worth it. Probably not. Just to replace/refinish the 1/4 alone is atleast $1500. Then add to paint the rest of the car - several thousand. Decide where it`s best to cut your looses.....

Are there any other areas of rust on your car?

Anything other than cutting out the rotted area will not be a long term repair that will eventually return much worse.

slvr-bullet
01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Well that rusted part is actually where the rear plastic bumper is (see pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/slvr-bullet/himawa-02.jpg

Not really. There are little pits and the hood has some paint bubbling but that is the most rust that is noticable on the car.

I think my best bet is to get that portion cut out and replaced instead of the whole panel.