PDA

View Full Version : Applying Rustoleum Clearcoat over bare paint?

Michael_K
01-11-2008, 03:13 AM
Hello,

I recently posted a thread with some images of a car with bad paint damage. This thread never seemed to appear on the forum, but I have determined the issue was clearcoat failure. (I have no experience with car detailing)

I have begun scraping the badly flaking clearcoat areas off with a plastic scraper, and plan to sand down the better areas.

Would Rustoleum clear coat be an acceptable replacement (for someone on an extremely tight budget)? Do they sell that stuff in a tin, and if so - would the 50% mineral spirits to 50% clearcoat rule apply here?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edit: Below is a picture for reference. The bad clearcoat scrapes off with a piece of curved, slightly dulled perspex, and tougher areas can be cleaned up with sandpaper. To reiterate, I`m asking whether Rustoleum clearcoat would be an acceptable replacement (Alternatively it will be left as-is)...

http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/Himg87/scaled.php?server=87&filename=generalkh5.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

aboveclean
01-11-2008, 05:12 AM
I do know Duplicolor Paint Shop line of paints come ready to shoot and are $20/Quart at Advanced Auto Parts.

Michael_K
01-11-2008, 07:08 AM
Could that be thinned down and applied with a roller? I have no professional tools. Should I know anything before going out and buying the first tin of clearcoat I see? I`m not certain as to what options there are. I`ve seen acrylic vs. urethane browsing the `net and am not sure which is most appropriate, indeed, I am clueless.

Thanks for the advice.

Twista616
01-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I do know Duplicolor Paint Shop line of paints come ready to shoot and are $20/Quart at Advanced Auto Parts.

Not sure if he has a gun to spray that from, but i think hes looking for a aresol type of CC. Does the whole car need it? Or just certain areas?? That looks like a hood in the picture...and personally, if you have no experience in automotive painting, clear coat from a can will be super hard to make it look right on a hood.

I have a feeling you will not be able to take off the clear coat without touching the basecoat(red paint) underneath. You will have to repaint the basecoat and clear coat. Take it to a shop to get an estimate. Then figure out what you want to do. If you dont have experience, I can`t really walk you through it unless I was there with you. If been painting for awhile now...

If you have any questions,, throw me a PM...

Twista616
01-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Ps...if you are planning on putting it on your hood, be careful...i used some OTC clear coat on some rims I repainted...after about a year, the clear cracked and turned yellowish from the heat! Your engine produces alot more heat...so check the temp on the can!

imported_Yal
01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/storefront.cgi

Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories (http://www.automotivetouchup.com/)

imported_Larry A
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I would give it a try . After all with the condition of the hood , what do you have to lose. Somewhere there is a thread here about a guy that painted a VW and a old Dodge orange rustoleum with a roller , and he wet sanded and polished it , and it looked very good.