PDA

View Full Version : 3M Rubbing Compound 5973

tato20vt
01-11-2008, 03:09 AM
hi everybody i have a quick question i was using meguiars deep crystal polish #2 for polishing my car but swirl marks still there and scratches too i want to know if 3M Rubbing Compound #5973 will make a difference?? i live in guatemala so not to much detailing products this 2 products are the best for polishing here:bawling:

Invigor
01-11-2008, 08:35 AM
you will have compound swirls after rubbing compound. You need either swirl remover 3000 and ultrafina se, or perfect it III machine glaze 05937 to get rid of the compound swirls.

If you`re using the old line, perfect it III, I forget what you go over machine glaze with, but it`s got a red label...might be called finish glaze.

don`t forget to use 3 different pads for each step too. compound pad, polishing pad, finesse pad.

Accumulator
01-11-2008, 12:44 PM
..i want to know if 3M Rubbing Compound #5973 will make a difference?? i live in guatemala so not to much detailing products this 2 products are the best for polishing here:bawling:

Welcome to Autopia!

No surprise that the Meg`s Deep Crystal Step #2 Polish didn`t solve the problem, it`s a nonabrasive product that doesn`t really remove any marring.

That`s a 3m product number that I`m *not* familiar with :think: 3M makes a *lot* of different rubbing compounds and you don`t want to use the wrong one or you`ll get scratches that you won`t be able to get out.

As Invigor said, with 3M compounds you generally need to go over them again with a milder product (and if you can get the PI-III Machine Glaze 05937 in your area that`s a great choice).

Some 3M compounds work great, even by hand, but you need to use the right one or you`ll have big problems.

Can you get/order other 3M or Meguiar`s products?

Invigor- I can almost always get a ready-to-wax finish with the PI-III MG 05937, no need for the follow-up product. On *some* paints, I can get the PI-II Fine Cut RC and the PI-III RC 05933 to finish out *almost* ready to wax..but yeah that MG really gives the proper finish.

Junebug
01-11-2008, 01:00 PM
3M Extra Cut 3000 for compound, Menzerna IP for polish and 3M UltrafinaSE for final polishing and you`ll be set - oh yeah - by rotary .

Invigor
01-11-2008, 01:32 PM
3M Extra Cut 3000 for compound, Menzerna IP for polish and 3M UltrafinaSE for final polishing and you`ll be set - oh yeah - by rotary .

Why not use the 3M product (Perfect it 3000 Swirl Mark Remover) that`s intended to be between the 3000 Compound and 3000 Ultrafina SE? Or use the complete Menzerna line, PG, IP, and FP2?

Chances are if you can buy all 3 3M polishes and the proper pads at the same place too, making it easier to attain a complete system that`s designed to produce flawless results.

PRB
01-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Why not use the 3M product (Perfect it 3000 Swirl Mark Remover) that`s intended to be between the 3000 Compound and 3000 Ultrafina SE? Or use the complete Menzerna line, PG, IP, and FP2?

I have read that some say the 3000 Swirl Mark Remover doesn`t have enough bite to remove the compounding marks left behind.

The posts (here and elsewhere) I recall reading say that 3000 SMR does a nice job of bringing gloss back after compounding, but the deep marks are still there.

I have zero experience with the 3000 line. I`ve only used the III series.

wannafbody
01-12-2008, 12:55 PM
The regular 3m 3000 series compound is quite effective.