PDA

View Full Version : Glaze before Sealant or Sealant before Glaze?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Grabby
01-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Gentlemen,

I`m working with three products right now. Mothers Sealer and Glaze, Klasse High Gloss Sealant and P21s 100% Carnauba wax.

My question is this:

Of the three which is better?

Base Coat of Mothers Sealer and Glaze

Topped off with Klasse High Gloss Sealant

Topped off with P21s 100% Carnauba Wax

OR

Base Coat of Klasse High Gloss Sealant

Topped of with Mothers Sealer and Glaze

Topped off with P21s 100% Carnauba Wax

OR

Base Coat of Klasse High Gloss Sealant

Topped off with P21s 100% Carnauba wax

My main concern is that I`m afraid that Klasse will not be as durable if I apply Mothers Sealer and Glaze first.

Any thoughts?

Grabby

imported_JoshVette
01-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Personally I don`t think any of them are really a good combination with the others....

If you`re going to do a 3 step, why not clean the surface first with something abrasive and then seal it?

Clay, paint cleaner, then sealant.

or compounding polish, AIO and sealant?

You definately do not want to put a sealant over a glaze, it will not stick to the surface with all the oils on it from the glaze. Sealants need raw, clean, contaminent free clear coats to bond to or they won`t last near as long.

I would rethink the glaze part of it. Do you use a PC or any buffer machine at all or is it all by hand.

Josh

Grabby
01-09-2008, 10:30 AM
My paint is carefully prepped with a clay and Mark-V Phase V Polish using a Makita Rotary 9227c with a White Lake Country Pad.

I`m really just thinking about my layers of protection.

Having said that it the sealant won`t bond the glaze, how about:

A base layer of sealant

Topped off with a glaze

Topped off with a Carnauba Wax

Grabby

a.k.a. Patrick
01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
IMO, glazes are last ditch efforts to restore and conceal. Glazes should be used as a last step in most cases. They`re not permanent, nor should they be expected to be used as a middleman product with any usefulness. Your last scenario for example: Through carrier oils and pure attrition, is probably enough to remove a significant amount of glaze clays and other filler materials, a futile attempt in my opinion.

Prep, protect then use your glaze to hopefully fill and hide.

There are quite a few products (glazes) now being made that offer filling and protection, so add that to the mix now!

Do glazes have a place in every scenario? I dont think so. There origial intent was to fill and hide, and add darkness to colored surfaces. I dont really think a lot has changed, but as mentioned, some now have acrylics and other protectants.

imported_JoshVette
01-09-2008, 11:00 AM
If you`ve already perfected the paint with the rotary, then there is no need for a glaze. If the defects and swirls are buffed out then the glaze has nothing to cover or hide then why use it at all?

If it`s already prepped correctly then just seal it once or twice, add a wax if you must, but you probably won`t need it.

Sounds to me like you`re adding un-needed steps to this process.

imported_DJ Mayo
01-09-2008, 11:06 AM
If you`ve already perfected the paint with the rotary, then there is no need for a glaze. If the defects and swirls are buffed out then the glaze has nothing to cover or hide then why use it at all?

If it`s already prepped correctly then just seal it once or twice, add a wax if you must, but you probably won`t need it.

Sounds to me like you`re adding un-needed steps to this process.

exactly, nothing to hide so take out the glaze.

howareb
01-09-2008, 11:29 AM
I am in 100% agreement with everyone here that proper prep work gives the best results. There is no argument. However I do see times where a glaze does fit in, such as not enough time to do a full-scale polish. We have been lucky here for weather this winter, but there are times (for us outdoor guys) where we do not have but a small window of time to wash and seal the car. I have found glazes to be a nice cosmetic touch to add before adding some sealants. Also note, I do agree that oily glazes should never be used when using a sealant as an LSP.

Danase Wet Glaze is my go to glaze when I must use a sealant as an LSP. It works very well at giving you a "polished look" and it adheres to sealants fairly well. It is also very versatile whereby it can be layered under sealants, top of sealants or sandwiched between sealants and it give a nice gloss. It also has very minimal protection, so it is not recommended as an LSP.

In conclusion when using an oily glaze you are better off to forgo the sealant step, because it will not adhere well and thus cause a waste of product, work and time. If you use an oily glaze then use a long lasting carnauba like Collinite or Clearkote Carnauba. Ultimately though if you have the time or flawless paint already, then follow Patrick`s avatar message (which are great word to live by), "No Prep. No Pride."

Grabby
01-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I understand that I don`t have to hide anything but won`t the glaze help out at enhancing gloss and depth?

I`m trying to go for maximum gloss and protection even if the paint has been carefully prepped.

Grabby

howareb
01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I understand that I don`t have to hide anything but won`t the glaze help out at enhancing gloss and depth?

I`m trying to go for maximum gloss and protection even if the paint has been carefully prepped.

Grabby

Wet glaze will help with gloss.

cls
01-09-2008, 10:46 PM
If youre using working with klasse sealant, I suggest you get an acrylic type of glaze like danase wet glaze imo.

1.Acrylic glaze

2.Sealant

3.Carnauba

Pennypacker
01-10-2008, 12:42 AM
I recollect RMG being really popular in combination with UPP once upon a time. It`s a great combo, but definitely more about form over function--looks dazzling. I think because UPP didn`t last so long in the first place, people didn`t mind using a glaze under it. (And I still think UPP`s one of the slickest sealants around.)

Grabby
01-10-2008, 01:34 AM
Wet glaze will help with gloss.

But will applying the glaze before Klasse lessen its durability?

And

I plan to go with

A layer of Klasse

Topped off with Glaze

Then top off with a Carnauba Wax

Grabby

Pennypacker
01-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Any time you put a glaze under a sealant, durability is hindered. People do it anyway because in their eyes, and depending on the products used, it looks better (even with proper polishing beforehand). But durability is definitely not the focus in that case.

mysteryan
01-10-2008, 04:04 AM
KSG: Klasse Sealant Glaze

Isn`t KSG considered a glaze as well as a sealant anyways? Or is it just their fancy way or naming their sealant (i.e doesn`t really fill in or hide imperfect finishes, just proects).

steelwind101
01-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Hello

I think this was another case when the search button might have come in use! I was only saying the other day about how you CAN USE AN ARYLIC/POLYER GLAZE with any Carlack derived product or similar such as Klasses.

You would need to place and ARYLIC/POLYMER GLAZE after AIO and before KSG. You can then place a layer of of before mentioned glaxe between the next layers of KSG.

An Acrylic or Polymer glaze, in my experince and expertise has no effect on the durability of the Klasses twins, Jeffs Werkstatt or Carlack.

There is NO PLACE for an oil based glaze with the products you mentioned unless you wish to apply on top of the sealant, 12 hrs later in purely cosmetic way.

Oil based glazes and aryclic glazes have major benefits, as side from hiding any minor imperfections.

CG EZ GLAZE with KSG etc. creates a much more glossy and durable finish.

Oil based glazes such as RMG really bring out a metalic pop.

Some sealants work fine with oil based glazes, these include Wolfgang Sealant, EX-P and Meguiars #21.

Placing any glaze before an AIO is a waste as it the AIO will remove it from the service. Placing an oil based glaze over an AIO often wastes product and creates little effect.

Im suprised (unless i have read it out of context) that some you higher posters dont see any reason for glazes.

Geoff