PDA

View Full Version : Tried out meguiars 105 today

Pages : [1] 2

ron231
01-09-2008, 01:54 AM
I picked up a bottle of 105 today to see if it lives up to the hype surrounding it, and because I wanted to try a new aggressive compound.

The instructions on the bottle say to use it with a wool cutting pad, and to follow with something else. However, the point of 105 is that it is tough but still leaves a nice finish with no haze like most compounds leave.

So, the first thing that came to mind was fillers. Meguiars products are usually loaded with fillers, even their sealant fills, and IME #80 is more fill than it is abrasive.

So, I put a blue 6" edge2000 pad on my makita and set out to polishing a small test area. The reason I chose a soft foam pad that can finish down LSP ready, is because I wanted to see if given the proper pad, the abrasives in 105 could diminish to the point where it would not need to be followed with something else.

First impressions were not too good, my pad was really not very lubricated compared to menzerna and optimum (which are the polishes I am used to). It dusted like crazy, and gummed up but I continued to break it down until it was nearly invisible.

When I wiped it off, my impressions went through the roof, ALL of the swirls on this badly swirled (as in automatic car washes, this is a customer`s car, not mine) truck were GONE. So of course, my first reaction was well, it must have filled them because there is no haze at all, no buffer trails, and the swirls are totally gone with just a blue pad.

So I broke out the griots paint prep spray to try to remove any fillers, and the surface looked the same. Then I broke out the alcohol, let it sit a while and wiped off and to my surprise the surface looked exactly the same.

This can only mean one thing, it actually did remove all of the swirls with no fillers and still managed to finish out perfectly. Normally to tackle these swirls I would have used wool with something like presta ultra cutting creme, followed with foam and 106ff.

To combat it making my pad jump and being s dusty, I mixed it 70/30 with OP which seemed to only tone down the cut a little, but made it very usable. I would not use it again without the 30% OP.

Overall, great product. Aggressive and when used with the right pad the abrasives break down to a glossy LSP ready finish without the use of fillers.

Honestly, I was fully prepared to write about how it just fills everything like most megs polishes and thats why it seems to finish so nicely, but I tried everything I could and apparently it does not fill at all. 70% 105 30% OP is now a great option for me when a customer`s budget does not allow for wool followed by foam but still wants some serious swirl removal. However, I would not recommend using it without the (minimum) 30% OP as it dries out very very quickly.

nonsensez9
01-09-2008, 01:59 AM
I can`t find it on the Meguiar`s web site. Can it be used with a d/a?

ron231
01-09-2008, 02:04 AM

Its very new, so it may not be in the regular product selection on their website yet. I would say that you should try it with DA and tell us how it works for you.

BlueZero
01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the write up. I`ve been looking forward to trying this one out.

I`ve read it works good by hand so I would guess it will work with a DA.

the other pc
01-09-2008, 12:04 PM
... it actually did remove all of the swirls ...Well, it is a heavy cutting compound. Their older products were rated 1 to 10 on Meg’s cut scale. M105 is rated 12. It’s designed to remove sanding scratch.

...and still managed to finish out perfectly. ....Yeah, pretty cool how well it finishes down, considering how well it cuts.

I can`t find it on the Meguiar`s web site. Can it be used with a d/a?M105 Ultra Cut Compound - New! (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20650)

Meg’s doesn’t recommend it for DA. But if you try it and it works...

PC.

Todd@RUPES
01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
I disagree strongly about Meguiars and fillers. I`m not saying that it will not fill (I haven`t seen a polish yet that doesn`t fill), but I don`t think they are designed for this. I have never seen anything come back with either #80, #82, #83, or #85. I have seen a "little" come back with #84, but not because it was supposed to fill, but because of the amount of polishing oils it leaves behind.

I have seen much more filling from OP (the new formula is real bad, IMO, in terms of fillers). I have done a write up on here where I marred the surface, used #80 by rotary, and wiped down the surface with alochol, prepsol, and simple green. Still looked the same as before. So while it may fill (as with any polish which is an act of the oils used in the lubrication), it is mostly cut, IMO.

Otherwise, nice review.

ron231
01-09-2008, 04:02 PM
I disagree strongly about Meguiars and fillers. I`m not saying that it will not fill (I haven`t seen a polish yet that doesn`t fill), but I don`t think they are designed for this. I have never seen anything come back with either #80, #82, #83, or #85. I have seen a "little" come back with #84, but not because it was supposed to fill, but because of the amount of polishing oils it leaves behind.

I have seen much more filling from OP (the new formula is real bad, IMO, in terms of fillers). I have done a write up on here where I marred the surface, used #80 by rotary, and wiped down the surface with alochol, prepsol, and simple green. Still looked the same as before. So while it may fill (as with any polish which is an act of the oils used in the lubrication), it is mostly cut, IMO.

Otherwise, nice review.

Strange, I usually use griots paint prep to remove fillers when I am testing a polish, and as soon as I sprayed the #80 test area with griots paint prep (the trunk of a dark blue passat that belongs to a customer of mine) about 60% or so of all the swirls showed back up in an instant, and I certainly worked it until it was fully broken down.

ron231
01-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Update: I tried it via PC with a megs polishing pad, I figured since the PC cannot jump around like a rotary can, I would no longer need to add the OP to make it smoother and more lubricated, however I was wrong.

Before adding the OP it did not jump of course (since a PC can`t jump) however it did dry up very very fast and I felt like I was dry buffing. I tried it on the PC with OP added as well as another panel with RMG added and both bade it much more usable. After a griots paint prep wipe-down to see how much was filled and how much was removed, most of the swirls were removed, but not as much as with a rotary.

My conclusion is that it can be used with a DA, and I am sure if you used it with a stronger pad than I did it would have more cut, however, I used it with a polishing pad to make sure it could also finish down LSP ready on DA as well. Also, adding the RMG leaves the paint with a serious wet look so if carnauba is your LSP and you use it via DA I would say to add the RMG.

Scottwax
01-09-2008, 05:16 PM
I`ll have to grab a bottle next time I am at my Meguiars distributor. Thanks for the review. :)

nonsensez9
01-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Its very new, so it may not be in the regular product selection on their website yet. I would say that you should try it with DA and tell us how it works for you.

Actually I`m in the market for something with the bite of M83 but can be used in sunlight. The 105 sounds bit much for my needs.

BlueLibby04
01-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Its on the front page.. Kinda hard to miss.

ron231
01-10-2008, 03:25 AM
I`ll have to grab a bottle next time I am at my Meguiars distributor. Thanks for the review. :)

Do you use rotary or just cyclo and UDM?

sneek
01-11-2008, 02:27 AM
I used this stuff tonight. It is UNREAL!

I have NEVER used anything like it. I did not get any dusting, but WOW the cut is really clean and it leaves the finish clear. I used it on a black hood, and I have never seen anything like it. M105+W5000 pad is an amazing combo. The work time is great and I do not see any real need to use it with OP. As for the dust, was the pad just washed or new. It is possible for it to dust if the pad is dry. I used it with a pad that was already primed, and it was just fantastic. Such a pleasure to work with, I would highly recommend trying it. Superb product. To me it seems cheap for what it offers. I will get my hands on the photos in the following days, but this is just unreal. I don`t even know how to describe how this product is. I can almost promise you will like this stuff...but I am poor so I can`t back that up...but give it a try if you get a chance!

ron231
01-11-2008, 02:46 AM
I used this stuff tonight. It is UNREAL!

I have NEVER used anything like it. I did not get any dusting, but WOW the cut is really clean and it leaves the finish clear. I used it on a black hood, and I have never seen anything like it. M105+W5000 pad is an amazing combo. The work time is great and I do not see any real need to use it with OP. As for the dust, was the pad just washed or new. It is possible for it to dust if the pad is dry. I used it with a pad that was already primed, and it was just fantastic. Such a pleasure to work with, I would highly recommend trying it. Superb product. To me it seems cheap for what it offers. I will get my hands on the photos in the following days, but this is just unreal. I don`t even know how to describe how this product is. I can almost promise you will like this stuff...but I am poor so I can`t back that up...but give it a try if you get a chance!

You used it with wool, which in order to eliminate buffer trails always requires a follow up with foam (unless you are talking about edge2000 ultra-fine white wool pad which is made for finishing) so you are talking mainly about cut, try it with foam because that way you can finish and cut a decent amount all in one step without filling.

Not to say I dont like wool, I love wool for cutting, but I would not use it for finishing (unless as stated earlier I was using an edge2000 white wool pad).

Todd@RUPES
01-11-2008, 02:46 AM
When you are guys are saying it finishes down, are you saying that you can finish 100 percent marr and hologram free on black paint with a meduim pad?