PDA

View Full Version : Cheap protection against swirls/scratches/dust

soupnazi
01-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Hi Folks,

My car is bright red so it easily shows swirls/scratches in bright sunlight or fluroescent lights. I currently wash with Meguires Gold was using the two bucket method after a good rinse and a carwash peanut shaped sponge. I usually allow the water to sheet off with a low flow hose, then use a California Water Blade to get off the majority of the water. The remaining water is dried with a clean Microfibre cloth. (usually 1 wash a month)

The car has one coat of Klasses All In One and 2 coats of Collinite Insulator Liquid 845 Wax. (2 months since they`ve been coated)

I noticed recently that someone touched my hood with their fingers and slid them about 5 cm. This caused some scratches since the car was slightly dirty at the time. Is there a cheap protectant that would help prevent these type of scratches in the future (if it`s even possible) or ones caused by washing a car once a month? I`m looking for a one step sealant with good dust/scratch protection instead of a multi step expensive product like Zaino. I`ve recently bought some Duragloss Aquawax (sealant) to spray on top of the Collinite layers to help with this.

mikebai1990
01-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Collinite is a very decent choice for protection against the elements. However, there is no wax that has been known to prevent or minimize scratching. You could get a clearbra, but it`s not wise to have your whole car covered in a clearbra.

Scratches caused by washing are the result of improper washing techniques. Paint scratches fairly easily, and it takes a very gentle wash to get it right. For example, the water blade could be causing some marring, because it is always possible that there can be dirt particles left on the paint surface, and the water blade could be dragging those particles along the paint, and scratching it.

Accumulator
01-08-2008, 06:21 PM
soupnazi- Welcome to Autopia!

Generally, no. No LSP (Last Step Product, i.e., "wax"/"sealant") will reliably protect against marring. In some *very* rare cases it`ll help and you`ll just get scratches in the LSP, but that`s certainly nothing you can count on. The *only* time I`ve had this work out (in over 3 decades of detailing) was with some *VERY* light marring that didn`t peneterate numerous layers of Klasse Sealant Glaze. But this marring was so minute that most people could never see it under any conditions. The sort of thing you`re talking about...well, you`re gonna get scratches no matter what.

soupnazi
01-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the advice and warm welcome guys! I guess no such product exists besides coating your entire car with a 3M clearbra to prevent scratches.:doh Thanks for the tip on the water blade...I think I`ll stop using that. I`ll use the low flow hose to sheet the water and then clean up the remains with the microfibre towel.:)

ron231
01-09-2008, 12:13 AM
You should read the guide to detailing on this site and learn how to remove those swirls and scratches the right way :)

a.k.a. Patrick
01-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Your best deterent in situations like that are

just minimizing dust accumulation. Frequent

QD` ing can also assist in minimal dust buildup.

NSXTASY
01-09-2008, 01:01 AM
Take a huge sheet of 3M Paint Protection Film, and wrap your entire car (after you polish it to perfection of course).

Not that it would be cheap however.

imported_Larry A
01-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Even if the wax or sealant would protect the paint from scratches , the paint or sealant would be scratched itself.

kenleekenlee
01-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Ditch the peanut sponge and get a wool pad/mitt. The wool releases dirt easier than the sponge will, which may prevent the addition of new swirls.

soupnazi
01-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Would a grout sponge from Home Depot be better than the peanut sponge?

I`ve doing some reading on here about sheepskin/microfibre/sheep wool mitts. What do you think is the best wash media for your money at preventing swirls?

GP guy
01-09-2008, 06:12 PM
The best way is to wash or try to wash once a week. Along with the 2 bucket method use grit guards in the bottom. Wool mits usually work the best, micro is good to so either of them will work. David has some great tips on washing and drying. Hopes this helps.

Accumulator
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Would a grout sponge from Home Depot be better than the peanut sponge?

Probably. Some people do OK with the grout sponge but I can`t recall *anybody* doing OK with the peanut ones. But IMO the way it`s used is the biggest factor. CD-test any wash/dry media before you use it.

I`ve doing some reading on here about sheepskin/microfibre/sheep wool mitts. What do you think is the best wash media for your money at preventing swirls?

Again, test any wash media before you use it. In most cases it`s not the media that causes the marring but rather how its used.

Note that some materials (MF) tend to retain contaminants worse than other materials (BHBs being the best, sheepskin/wool mitts also being *generally* better in this regard than MF).

I use both sheepskin/wool and MF mitts; both work OK if I use them correctly. With the MF I have to be more careful about residual contamination and I go through more MF mitts when I do a vehicle than I would wool ones. But I *never* try to do a vehicle with just one/two mitts even though I use a BHB for the initial passes.

I myself can`t wash without marring unless I use a foamgun to provide constant lubrication and flushing. I direct its output at the point where the wash media contact the paint and use a "dislodge-and-flush" approach so I`m not dragging dirt across the paint.