PDA

View Full Version : New Member needs help!

TallyG
01-08-2008, 05:39 AM
How you doing guys this is my first day on Autopia, and i have to say i am very impressed all the new found knowledge i am getting. I wish I could this detailing knowledge couple of months ago.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

Here`s my story, up until recently i never owned a nice car, washed once or twice a year, never even thought of waxing. Then in my last year of college i decided to get a nice G35.

I instantly starting obsessing with the car, always wanting to keep it clean. and perhaps shining all the time.hehehe

I went into the nearest auto zone asked another fellow high school kid who worked there how to make my car shine like anything on the road. He sold me a good list of items such as MF clothes, washing mitts, buckets, spray on wax, spray on detailers, regular wax, shine wax, the works....................

Now i head home and apply all these products to my new car............i didnt know anything about car care at that time, but at my age you think you ve seen it all.

the following months were series of mishaps..................

1) applied spray on wax, didnt see any results. quik wipe off

2)bought a cheap buffer from EBAY(biggest mistake) used the ICE polish..............left very light swirls on the car..........didnt make anything better.

3) listen to another autozone worker/ younger kid..........................bought turtle wax and applied it in sunny but cold weather by hand, covered the whole car, left it on there for 2 hour, and realised how immposible it is to take it off. so i hosed and wiped....................................No i have visible swirls on my new car, they moderate i would say.

Eventhough i have been through series of unfourtunate events, i am a huge believer of DIY. so i will order the porter cable next month, and watch videos on how to`s on YOUTUBE. and try again.

So heres my question to you guys, and any help and opinions will help.

a) should i wait for the failed attempts of waxes on my car to fade away and try again? because i did wax it 2 months ago. But i really would like to get rid of the swirls soon as possible. is it Ok to apply new stuff over the old failed application?

secondly if i can start i was thinking to do the following.

1) hand wash the car (no pressure washer) (double bucket)

2) Use the porter cable with............???.........pad to apply Scratch X scratch and swirl remover.

3) then what else should i do, what kind of polish and wax should i use?

Its soo many choices...........i ve read alot of forums, but i need a blueprint.

PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!! I AM CAR CARE RETARDED!!!