PDA

View Full Version : Autoglym SRP - Which Pad?

superstring
01-07-2008, 08:16 PM
My car is pearl metallic black. For those familiar with Autoglym SRP, once I`ve properly prepped the surface (Menzerna IP then 106FF), which pad would you guys recommend for applying the SRP? Would a LC White polishing pad do the trick or would I get a better result by going to a LC finishing pad - Blue or Black?

Thanks.

racing2448
01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
since you got defects out with IP and 106FF i would think its better to go with a finishing pad, as white might add some more unwanted defects.

steelwind101
01-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey!

On detailingworld.co.uk their are lots of examples of what pads to choose. I have not used it with machine polisher before but on there they plenty of examples discussed!

It will do a good job of hiding any remaing imperfections sealing the paintwork ready for a wax or Extra Gloss Protection.

Geoff

superstring
01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks guys.

Yeah steelwind, I`m planning on using SRP for exactly the reasons you suggest, ie hiding any remaining (small) imperfections. Perfection is always the goal!! :D I did consider posting my question on DetailingWorld. I`ll do a search over there and see what I get.

In the meanwhile, I should add that I have LC white pads and Meguiar`s W8006 polishing pads and I`m wondering if it`s worth my time to invest in some finishing pads for the SRP and, if so, which ones? If anyone else has had experience with SRP, please chime in! :)

Accumulator
01-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Superstring- As long as the white polishing pad doesn`t have any functional cut of its own on your paint (can`t predict, it`s a matter of how hard/soft the paint is, but IME 99% of the time it`s safe) I`d use that. The SRP is a little heavy, what with the resins and all the other stuff, so I don`t like using a really "tight"/finishing pad unless I have to. I would *not* want to use a black LC pad myself.

The Griot`s orange, which doesn`t get much mention here, works well IME- firm and porous, but still surprisingly mild. No problem at all using it with SRP after finishing polish on the Jag`s ss lacquer...so mild that I never even experienced the mild correction that SRP`s abrasives supposedly can do.

Don`t expect miracles with regard to SRP`s filling though...recently some posts on SRP have made it sound a *LOT* more effective at concealing that I ever experienced (buy hey, by now you know how unreasonable I can be about some things ;) ). Perhaps it`s just because (other than some experimenting) I never used it until I`d already done quite a bit of polishing :nixweiss

superstring
01-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi Accumulator, I sort of hoped I`d hear from you :) My car`s a Subaru and I beleive you had a WRX in your stable at some point. It was 75% resprayed about 2 years ago; I`m not sure if that makes a difference to the big picture :nixweiss

I understand what you`re saying about the SRP`s filling abilities. I`m planning on getting the surface as good as I can with the polishes before applying SRP. Too bad I returned my orange Griot`s pads awhile back! :grinno:

Anyway thanks for the reply. Very informative as usual.

Accumulator
01-08-2008, 07:03 PM
..My car`s a Subaru and I beleive you had a WRX in your stable at some point. It was 75% resprayed about 2 years ago; I`m not sure if that makes a difference to the big picture :nixweiss

Ah yes, now I`m starting to remember.

.. Too bad I returned my orange Griot`s pads awhile back!

Heh heh, wasn`t the shipping more expensive than the refund on the pads :chuckle:

Yeah, they really can be handy now and then, and they wear like iron...I can`t remember the last time I wore one out!

In their absence, I`d go with the white LC pad, at least for starters (i.e., do a test spot). If it causes a problem you can cuss me out (do it publicly here so I know not to recommend it any more :D ), repolish, and go with the blue one after all. Your repaint might be a little soft, so I can`t guarantee the white will be OK...but if you use it for your final polishing anyhow then it oughta be IMO.

superstring
01-08-2008, 08:41 PM
Ah yes, now I`m starting to remember.

Heh heh, wasn`t the shipping more expensive than the refund on the pads :chuckle:

It would have been, but I returned a lot of stuff all at once! They don`t send me catalogs anymore either! ;) :D

In their absence, I`d go with the white LC pad, at least for starters (i.e., do a test spot). If it causes a problem you can cuss me out (do it publicly here so I know not to recommend it any more :D ), repolish, and go with the blue one after all. Your repaint might be a little soft, so I can`t guarantee the white will be OK...but if you use it for your final polishing anyhow then it oughta be IMO

Yeah, that`s what I think I`ll do. I was doing a search over at Detailing World and some folks there like using the green Sonus DAS polishing pad. So that may be something for me to consider if the LC White doesn`t work out.

Accumulator
01-09-2008, 10:53 AM
..I returned a lot of stuff [to Griot`s] all at once! They don`t send me catalogs anymore either!

Heh heh, so it wasn`t just *me* who got off the mailing list and onto their other ;) list :chuckle: