PDA

View Full Version : Scratches

VWgli06
01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Yes how can i get out the spider web, swirls out of my car ? I wax it and to me it still looks like crap when the sun hits it you can see all the swirls.

Thanks

Anthony

racing2448
01-07-2008, 11:42 AM
get yourself a pc, udm, or flex (or rotary if you are experienced) with some menzerna super intensive polish or intensive polish. Finish that off with their final polish and then top it with your fav sealant or carnuba. you should be good to go!

imported_JoshVette
01-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Yup, you`ll need a PC. But I`m assuming it`s a VW based on your name and I`ll tell you from experience VW clear is extremely hard and you will need a rotary to clean up any swirls on it.

What`s the car? make model and year?

Accumulator
01-07-2008, 01:21 PM
VWgli06- Welcome to Autopia!

What the preceding posts are referring to is the necessity of using an abrasive polish to remove enough clearcoat to "level" the surface of the paint; that`s how you remove such marring. It`s like sanding a scratch out of a block of wood. Wax is just a final, sacrificial coating you put on the paint to keep it nice...once you *get* it nice.

Doing the polishing by machine is a *LOT* more effective and efficient than doing it by hand, hence the recommendations regarding Flex/Porter Cable/etc. polishers.

This is a bit more complex an issue that it might first appear, so I`d do some research first. The "How To" icon here is a good place to start.

IMO the most important thing is to learn how to wash/dry without inducing marring, that`s almost certainly how you got those scratches in the first place. Washing without marring isn`t easy...just how *do* you get that abrasive dirt off the paint without pressing it *against* the paint and then moving it :confused:

VWgli06
01-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Yup, you`ll need a PC. But I`m assuming it`s a VW based on your name and I`ll tell you from experience VW clear is extremely hard and you will need a rotary to clean up any swirls on it.

What`s the car? make model and year?

2006 Vw Jetta Gli

Bert
01-07-2008, 06:42 PM
There are some pretty good videos on Youtube of people polishing their car with a Porter Cable 7424. I would recommend putting "Porter Cable 7424" in the search area of Youtube and watch some videos to see how it is done.

superblack350
01-08-2008, 04:40 AM
Yes how can i get out the spider web, swirls out of my car ? I wax it and to me it still looks like crap when the sun hits it you can see all the swirls.

Thanks

Anthony

i think you are getting mixed up like most people. You don`t wax to take out swirls. You need to polish it buy a good machine. Wax is just a sealant. I have friends that think that waxing the car itself is going to make it look better and shinier. The sun would tell the truth though. Like others have said, get a PC and some nice polishes.