PDA

View Full Version : Windshield chip repaired and still the same.

johnvdub
01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

I was the unlucky car that received a rock which chipped my windshield over my line of view on driver side. I just got it fixed but I still see it as ugly as before it was repaired with the resine. This being said, I thought whatever the shop does these days was supposed to clear up the crack itself so it was less visible( the crack line actually got wider )

The chip was less then a 10 cent coin in diameter.

Any thoughts as to the job that was done as I see it just above my line of sight and it`s still not esthetically pleasing.

Thx

imported_steveo3002
01-07-2008, 11:35 AM
i worked at a dealer..id say some came out better than others , if your lucky it was nearly gone , other times just as bad

johnvdub
01-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Thx for reply ...

My looks just as bad as if it wasn`t repaired and the hairline crack is a bit wider. Is it because of a poor job?

imported_steveo3002
01-07-2008, 12:29 PM
id expect to look a little better at least

maybe call and mention you are not happy, although im not sure they can re do the repair

johnvdub
01-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Although this was covered under my insurance policy i am seriously thinking of changing the windshield now :( Damn I understand it was quite a chip but it should look better but the crack is still there. Doesn`t the stuff fill it in and make the crack dissappear at least .

Maybe i don`t understand the concept of these repairs.

sinbad
01-07-2008, 01:11 PM
dones over the years. The type of damage plays in big role in whether it can completely covered up. Usually, cracks can be made almost invisible; however, chips usually can still be seen. Resin is applied and drawn into cracks. You only get one chance of doing it right as cured resin prevents a good drawing a second time. Chips do not get drawn. Just applied and cured. The thing about windshield chip/crack repair is to prevent further damage. Just because you can still it does not mean it is not done right. Any chip is irritating since you know it is there. If it prevents you from seeing properly, then you should have insurance company replace windshield. I recommend keeping some clear tape in the car. Next time, apply some tape immediately chip or crack happens to prevent contamination allowing higher chance of good repair.

Mobile WSRepair
01-07-2008, 01:34 PM
As a Windshield Repair Tech myself (amongst other things), I have repaired over 1 thousand windshields in my time and plan to repair many more!

Your experience is not unusual, it happens often, and the Company that repaired your Windshield should have told you that you would not receive 100% of the visuals back.

I inform my customers that I can make 50 to 90% of the visuals go away, but sometimes 99% can be achieved.

Again, in your case you had a tech that was more than likely in an hurry to get the job done, and thats that.

You have options....

Since you went through your insurance company for the repair, you can call them and tell them you`re not happy with the repair, and they will go over your alternative options with you, or you can go to another repair shop (or have one come to you) and see if they fix what the other person didn`t get.

In some cases, you cannot fix a chip that already been attempted, but if the actual damage is still there, then the internals of the chip have not been repairs, therefore you`re still able to have it repaired.

I myself never recommend having a Chip repaired that is in the line of drivers view, but if thats what you can afford (not saying you can`t afford a new windshield), well thats it.

Anyhow.....if you have any questions, don`t hesitate to ask me.

I`m new to this forum, and it seems to be a pretty cool little community.

Good Luck..

JH

Mobile WS Repair

johnvdub
01-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks to all for their input ! Great to see the help .

In my case i may just change the windshield and bite the bullet as I still don`t like to see that unsightly crack above my line of vision.

They told me that the esthetics may be the same but the chip is safe and will not spread.

imported_mobenzowner
01-07-2008, 03:14 PM
I have had that procedure done and the results vary from almost 100% gone visually to little if any visual improvement.

johnvdub
01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I guess i`m the little part unless a bad job was done :(

The company was a reputable one though.