PDA

View Full Version : Fairly new to detailing...

macconinc
01-07-2008, 10:45 AM
I just purchased the Ultimate Detailing Machine kit with KLASSE AIO and Sealant/Glaze. My wife and I have two 2007 Mercedes Benz`s. Her`s is a C230 Sport and mine a E350 Special Edition with Black/Red Flake paint. Her`s stays garaged 90% of the time where mine is parked in a lot all day and sometimes in the garage at home.

I used the detailing machine yesterday for the first time. My wife`s car I used the AIO first then the Sealant. Didn`t notice any difference once I applied the Sealant. I think I may have wasted my time. My car had very little difference with the Sealant, but I figured since in in the weather most of the time it couldn`t hurt.

The AIO applied very easily and removed even easier. However, the Sealant applied pretty easy but was pretty hard to remove. The "motus operandi" of the Sealant is to apply a very thin layer. Here are my questions:

1. Can I apply the Sealant with a foam pad or should I use a microfiber bonnet ?

2. How much sealant on the pad at one time and how much area should it cover ?

3. How long to apply the sealant with the machine ? Until almost gone ? Few seconds ?

4. Can I remove the sealant with the machine or should I do it by hand ?

Sorry this is so long, but these answers will help me in the future.

CJB

Old Pirate
01-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Why don`t you PM LanceM, he`s in your area and maybe can show you on how to detail your car`s. That way you can see on how it`s done and learn from him (on one panel).

the other pc
01-07-2008, 04:51 PM
:welcome to Autopia, macconinc!

I don’t use Klasse products so I can only comment in general terms but here’s my take.

...I used the detailing machine yesterday for the first time. My wife`s car I used the AIO first then the Sealant. Didn`t notice any difference once I applied the Sealant. I think I may have wasted my time. My car had very little difference with the Sealant, but I figured since in in the weather most of the time it couldn`t hurt....AIO is an all-in-one, meaning it cleans the surface and adds protection. It’s the cleaning part of the process that improves the look. If the finish is good to begin with I wouldn’t expect much/any change.

The purpose of a sealant is to protect the finish. You use a sealant on a regular basis to keep it looking good, not to make it look good.

The machine is used to apply products and work them against the finish. It will only improve the finish if:

a. the finish has defects to remove.

b. you use products/pads that are capable of removing the particular defects you have.

c. you use proper technique.

If the finish is already in great shape you won’t see much/any improvement with the machine (other than saving you a lot of work). If there were defects left after machine buffing you either didn’t use the right product/pad combo or the right technique.

Again, I can only answer based on experience with sealants other than Klasse, YMMV...

1. Can I apply the Sealant with a foam pad or should I use a microfiber bonnet ?

2. How much sealant on the pad at one time and how much area should it cover ?

3. How long to apply the sealant with the machine ? Until almost gone ? Few seconds ?

4. Can I remove the sealant with the machine or should I do it by hand ?

1. Foam usually works great for sealants.

2. For most sealants, very little, usually a blob smaller than a quarter is good for an area of a couple square feet.

3. Most sealants should be spread to a very thin but uniform film. If you think it’s thin enough it probably isn’t.

4. Most sealants can easily be removed with a machine using a microfiber bonnet over a clean, dry foam pad. (Most sealants are easily removed by hand too, but the machine can be faster and more effective, especially on large vehicles.)

PC.