PDA

View Full Version : Finishing with PO85RD??gray pad?

Carbon Blue
01-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Hey there I was just wondering, Ive got some PO85rd coming in next week and I was reading on AG`s website and it says they prefer to use the gray pad. I was planning on using SIP with an orange LC pad and finishing with PO85rd with a white pad. I thought gray pads were for applying sealants, waxes and glazes and not finishing polishes??

imported_DetailDan
01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Gray and blue can be used for applying finishing polishes.

Carbon Blue
01-06-2008, 04:00 PM
thanks D&D, but would finishing with a white pad produce less desireable results?? would there be any adverse effects??

noooorb
01-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I`d say it depends on the paint. - on hard paint, finish down with white, on soft finish with a grey one.

Carbon Blue
01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
thanks, any more opinions?

imported_DetailDan
01-06-2008, 05:39 PM
I like to use finishing polishes with finishing pads. Thats how you get the most out of them.

uzj100
01-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey there I was just wondering, Ive got some PO85rd coming in next week and I was reading on AG`s website and it says they prefer to use the gray pad. I was planning on using SIP with an orange LC pad and finishing with PO85rd with a white pad. I thought gray pads were for applying sealants, waxes and glazes and not finishing polishes??

you might want to try the SIP with a white pad first, then go to the orange pad if you don`t get the correction you need. 85RD after that on black or blue pad.

Accumulator
01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
thanks, any more opinions?

Assuming you`re talking about doing this with a PC...

ebpcivicsi has found that he sometimes gets micromarring when he uses finishing polishes with very soft pads. IIRC he prefers to do most of his PC finish polishing with a white pad. I`m kinda the same way, I lean towards polishing pads for use with abrasives.

Some pad/product combos work better/worse than others, but a white LC polishing pad is gonna be functionally nonabrasive on all but the most (extremely) soft paint (softer than anything I can recall working on, including ss lacquer), so IMO it`s just the polish doing the work anyhow.

I do almost all of my finish polishing with the Cyclo, and its "finishing pads" are more like other companies` light polishing pads.

Another pad worth considering is the Griot`s orange polishing pad. Despite feeling awfully firm, I find these pads very mild and well-suited to final polishing by PC.

wannafbody
01-06-2008, 10:38 PM
I agree that with a PC a slightly firmer pad such as a LC white seems to work better with polishes. If you need something softer try a Megs yellow.

Carbon Blue
01-06-2008, 11:06 PM
thanks everyone