PDA

View Full Version : Finding the correct supplies

VWgli06
01-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Hey all i have used almost everything out there. And i still can`t find something that will give me the best shine out there. I`m not someone that uses a buffer since i am some what scared to kill my paint.

Well i hope you all can help me out with this.

Thank you so much

Brace1
01-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Welcome to the board!!

You`re gonna get a million different opinions on the best products to give you the "best shine" you`re seeking. However, the only way to really get the shine you`re looking for is to get yourself a buffer to polish the paint.

Don`t be afraid of burning through the paint if you get a DA polisher (Porter Cable, UDM, Cyclo, etc). I started out intimidated, but unless you`re using the most aggressive pad/product combo, the chances of burning through your paint are virtually non-existent. A rotary on the other hand, if used improperly can fairly quickly damage your paint.

imported_DetailDan
01-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Its all about the prep.

Bigpoppa3346
01-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey all i have used almost everything out there

:rolleyes: Why am I finding this hard to believe?

Everything? Everything made by Black Magic and Turtle Wax?

P1et
01-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Hey all i have used almost everything out there. And i still can`t find something that will give me the best shine out there. I`m not someone that uses a buffer since i am some what scared to kill my paint.

Thank you so much

You are not getting very good results because you will need to properly prep your paint before applying your sealants and waxes.

You have use a $2,500 wax on top of a poorply prep`d vehicle and it will still look awful. It`s time to get past the fact that a buffer will kill your paint and invest in either the Flex or a PC!

detaildoc
01-05-2008, 08:37 PM

Thank you so much

I can understand your fears as I was the same way when I first started detailing my car. If you want something very safe and that will give you good shine here is my recommendation.

Ultimate Detailing Machine

Sonus SFX 2 with DAS Swirlbuster Pad (Orange) or DAS Polishing Pad (green - softer than orange pad)

Sonus SFX 3 with DAS Finishing Pad (blue)

Appy a sealant or wax of your choice by hand (Ultima Paint Guard Plus, Zaino, P21S, Collinite Wax, etc.)

After the sealant or wax has cured top it with some Z8

If you really want some extra shine, you can top it with FK1 425

Your car will be safe with this regime. You can not go wrong with the UDM unless you combine a very abrasive pad with a very abrasive compound, which none of those above are.

Setec Astronomy
01-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Unlikely you will get the "best shine" without some sort of machine unless you have arms like Popeye (or Scottwax). There are plenty of random orbital machines that are very safe. However you do it, you will want to use a high gloss finishing polish, of which there are a few. You`re probably not going to be able bring your paint to its "full potential" without a machine.

BigJimZ28
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
the way I see it you have two choices

1.) read, ask questions, but products and learn how polish you paint

2.) find someone from here that know how to polish and pay them to do it

fergnation
01-06-2008, 12:47 AM
VW, detaildoc gave you a great answer. the UDM and sonus products is a great way to start out. Autopia has a kit that includes the UDM, the Sonus pads and the polishes. Even the Yellow pad and SFX 1 will take care of the swirls and some minor scratches without any worries. Something like $215.00. that will get you the plish you want and then you can experiment with Nuba waxes and sealants. But ahve no fear with the DA (dual action) polishers. They are virtually foolproof. With $300.00 you can have the shine you are looking for. Eventually if you want you can work up to a rotary. But most people that just work on their own car can have a fantastic looking vehicle with a DA polisher.

After that, it is up to you which products you think will bring out the shine. A bit of a warning though, a new credit card with a new limit might be needed. Once you get that shine you will wnat to try every product out there. Especially if you read on this site a lot. Everyone has their favorite and is very enthusiastic about which is their favorite. They will convince you to try what they are using.

P.S no matter what you post, even if it is to just say hello to everyone, there will always be someone like bigpoppa that has to be an a**. I will never understand it. It happens on every forum though. Just skip over those. There are plenty of nice, helpfull people on here.

detaildoc
01-06-2008, 02:12 AM
VW, Sonus products are very mild, but effective. You won`t have anything to worry about. Polishing by hand won`t give you the results you are looking for. A dual action machine like the UDM is a great and safe way to go. The polish is what gives the shine, and without an appropriate polishing job, no wax or sealant will produce the type of result you are looking for. A multi step process is also recommended. You can start with SFX 2, then finish with SFX 3. You might also need to clean your paint before polishing. You can use the Sonus green clay which is very mild (with their lubricant). If you don`t feel comfortable claying, you can always start with Sonus Paintwork Cleanser as an alternative.

jswift2000
01-06-2008, 02:00 PM
This is such a helpful post for people who are nerv about using a DA, me included. detaildoc did a nice job of laying things out the steps for those who want to make their cars look great. I`m going to order my UDM or PC soon (funds are a little tight) with the polish and pads recomended and them top them with my Zaino (Z2, Z5 pro).

Thanks again... very, very helpful.

detaildoc
01-06-2008, 02:21 PM
This is such a helpful post for people who are nerv about using a DA, me included. detaildoc did a nice job of laying things out the steps for those who want to make their cars look great. I`m going to order my UDM or PC soon (funds are a little tight) with the polish and pads recomended and them top them with my Zaino (Z2, Z5 pro).

Thanks again... very, very helpful.

Glad my post helped. If you are getting Zaino, I would also recommend Z8 as a last step product. This stuff really makes anything better. Good luck! Tell us how you like your DA.

jswift2000
01-08-2008, 12:48 PM
detaildoc,

I already have the zaino but I did order the UDM with the SFX2 & 3 and orange, green and blue pads. I`ll wash with Z7 (or ONR), clay, SFX3 (if I need to go down to 2, I will) and then finish off with Z5. The card doesnt have heavy swirls and has been protected with zaino from the day we brough it home. Thanks again for the help.

Jeff