PDA

View Full Version : Prima Hydro as a glaze?

citizen arcane
01-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Anyone have any experience w/ Prima Hydro? I stumbled across a thread on another site while searching for glazes and found some amazing pics of what this stuff can do and am ready to pull the trigger on a bottle of it. Any first hand experience here?

2KLS1
01-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Hydro is not a glaze, its a spray sealant. Well its more of a booster than a stand alone LSP I think, at least that`s how I use it. Its more comparable to something like Aquawax. Prima Amigo is their glaze. Oh and yes I think it looks pretty good.

citizen arcane
01-03-2008, 05:10 PM
While being advertised as a wax as you go spray it`s the filling properties that appeals to me. The vehicle I`ll use this on will be a black DD that I prefer polishing twice a year. This looks like a viable alternative to masking light marring in between these sessions.

Link to site and pics:

Swirl Filling Products from Prima Car Care - ShowCarDetailing (http://www.showcardetailing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=548&highlight=amigo)

2KLS1
01-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I guess I never really notice its filling abilities :nixweiss .

Todd@RUPES
01-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Any other experience with this product?

rwisejr
01-03-2008, 06:37 PM
I use it and the filling is minimal from what I see .But I love how it looks and it looks better the next day. But its not cheap

DJ_JonnyV
01-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I`ve used Hydro extensively as a "wax as u dry" product on my `04 Cobalt Blue Allroad. I really like it in this regard, but there are a few caveats. Make sure you are in the shade when doing it. It has a tendency to dry fairly quickly. I would also recommend doing sections at a time as you are drying. With Adam`s QD, I can spray the whole car and be fine wiping down all at one time. With Hydro, I think it would be better to do sections. It does leave a nice gloss and slickness on the paint for a "wax as u dry" product and has a good deal of polymers for sealing in it. It`s a really good in-between waxes product.

Also, fwiw, I met Nick Martinez, owner of Detailer`s Paradise and Prima lineup, and he`s a super-nice guy. He`s based out of Denver, CO, and runs a great operation out there.

I got my dad some of their Epic wax and he`s been rather pleased with it as well. He applied it to his `08 Jag XKR Portfolio and I took a look the following day. Really nice shine and slickness to it. It`s a sealant wax.

rwisejr
01-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I`ve used Hydro extensively as a "wax as u dry" product on my `04 Cobalt Blue Allroad. I really like it in this regard, but there are a few caveats. Make sure you are in the shade when doing it. It has a tendency to dry fairly quickly. I would also recommend doing sections at a time as you are drying. With Adam`s QD, I can spray the whole car and be fine wiping down all at one time. With Hydro, I think it would be better to do sections. It does leave a nice gloss and slickness on the paint for a "wax as u dry" product and has a good deal of polymers for sealing in it. It`s a really good in-between waxes product.

Also, fwiw, I met Nick Martinez, owner of Detailer`s Paradise and Prima lineup, and he`s a super-nice guy. He`s based out of Denver, CO, and runs a great operation out there.

I got my dad some of their Epic wax and he`s been rather pleased with it as well. He applied it to his `08 Jag XKR Portfolio and I took a look the following day. Really nice shine and slickness to it. It`s a sealant wax.

I agree with misting only an area at a time !!! It is an awesome product as is the entire Prima line

Rickrack
01-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Any idea how the polishes are?

I was just checking them out on detailers paradise website.

imported_bpfoley
01-10-2008, 12:47 PM
perhaps it was my application technique (too much) or whatever I had underneath it, but I noticed the Prima Hydro "hazed" on my hood after going for a drive (getting it hot) and no where else. It would go away if I QD`d or washed. I really attribute this to my underlying products as it did fine on my wife`s Saturn Vue hood (although her engine may not get as hot as my turbo does on 90* days)

Other than this, it is a great product that is a tad pricey. It does hide minimal marring but do not expect miracles. It smells amazing and leaves the surface incredibly slick. The real treat is the day after! I used it extensively last summer (two bottles worth) and the results looked great no matter the color car.

Brendan

rwisejr
01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Any idea how the polishes are?

I was just checking them out on detailers paradise website.

I have the polishes but have not used them yet but Have heard they are excellent used with a PC/UDM since they were designed for that purpose.

Richard@BlackWOW
02-04-2008, 03:41 AM
They are fantastic. I use them for my customers cars. I did a demo a few weekends ago. showing that on the super hard Ceramiclear Mercedes paint, that using just a PC with an Orange Pad, and Swirl, I could achieve a flawless finish.

I regularly polish using Swirl and the LC Orange and White pads on my Makita, and follow with the same pads and chemicals with the PC. Amigo is great for darker colors before using Epic for wax. I rarely use Cut or Finish which are really for specific applications.

I have the polishes but have not used them yet but Have heard they are excellent used with a PC/UDM since they were designed for that purpose.

rwisejr
02-04-2008, 06:17 AM
They are fantastic. I use them for my customers cars. I did a demo a few weekends ago. showing that on the super hard Ceramiclear Mercedes paint, that using just a PC with an Orange Pad, and Swirl, I could achieve a flawless finish.

I regularly polish using Swirl and the LC Orange and White pads on my Makita, and follow with the same pads and chemicals with the PC. Amigo is great for darker colors before using Epic for wax. I rarely use Cut or Finish which are really for specific applications.

Thanks Richard for the info .Good to know that swirl is a viable option for the cermi clear and the likes.

Richard@BlackWOW
02-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Just to add a bit info, I also use Swirl for soft paints--Infiniti, BMW, MINI, Porsche, and harder paints like Corvettes. Its very versatile.

Also, don`t want to go off topic, but I`m also evaluating a new system called Gloss It right now which best feature seems to be its very long play time, thus the ability to polish a panel for a very long time getting better results the longer you polish, and a little goes a long way. My preliminary tests show that it polishes as well and cleanly as Prima, but seems to have a bit more gloss on paints that might otherwise be a bit hazy on that first polishing pass. No conclusions at this time though.

Thanks Richard for the info .Good to know that swirl is a viable option for the cermi clear and the likes.

rwisejr
02-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Just to add a bit info, I also use Swirl for soft paints--Infiniti, BMW, MINI, Porsche, and harder paints like Corvettes. Its very versatile.

Also, don`t want to go off topic, but I`m also evaluating a new system called Gloss It right now which best feature seems to be its very long play time, thus the ability to polish a panel for a very long time getting better results the longer you polish, and a little goes a long way. My preliminary tests show that it polishes as well and cleanly as Prima, but seems to have a bit more gloss on paints that might otherwise be a bit hazy on that first polishing pass. No conclusions at this time though.

Sounds great Richard I will be keeping a look out for your final findings on this.