PDA

View Full Version : Pearl White matching

Pages : [1] 2

kyotousa
01-01-2008, 11:25 AM
I got my front bumper repainted...However the bumper doesn`t match the fender.

The bodyshop says that the fender will match after one month, because clearcoat will start to yellow a bit. Is this true?

If it doesn`t yellow up....Is it better to keep my factory fender paint or let the aftermarket shop to blend

ggk
01-01-2008, 11:45 AM
if it doesnt match in a month have them redo it.

get what you paid for. and they are prob lying to you because that pearl paint is some of the hardest to match.

jimmie jam
01-01-2008, 11:52 AM
i have a CTS that is pearl (white diamond). the bumper covers don`t match from the factory:wall . sometimes not really noticable, other times more so. i am really anal about this stuff HOWEVER sometimes it`s better to well enough alone if the paint "finish" is perfect:secret . if it is a pretty good match let it go for a month or so. if you still are not feelin it then repaint but remember the more they sand and paint the greater chance to f things up more sometimes. i live with mine because i`m not really up for a nightmare for a respray:argue .

good luck :)

ggk
01-01-2008, 11:58 AM
i have a CTS that is pearl (white diamond). the bumper covers don`t match from the factory:wall . sometimes not really noticable, other times more so. i am really anal about this stuff HOWEVER sometimes it`s better to well enough alone if the paint "finish" is perfect:secret . if it is a pretty good match let it go for a month or so. if you still are not feelin it then repaint but remember the more they sand and paint the greater chance to f things up more sometimes. i live with mine because i`m not really up for a nightmare for a respray:argue .

good luck :)

they wont go sanding on the bumper. if there is a prob with the paint it is in the color/pearl layer(prob the pearl if it looks a little diff then the rest of the car or it is the color layer if it is the wrong shade)

David Fermani
01-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I got my front bumper repainted...However the bumper doesn`t match the fender.

It didn`t match before you got it painted. Look at your rear bumper to confirm it.

The bodyshop says that the fender will match after one month, because clearcoat will start to yellow a bit. Is this true?

If it doesn`t yellow up....Is it better to keep my factory fender paint or let the aftermarket shop to blend

Sorry, but the shop is trying to blow you off in hopes that you won`t come back. It won`t fade, especialy enough to match your fenders!

Don`t have them blend into the fenders for a match. 3 stage pearls are a major PITA to match and if the shop can`t do it within an acceptable varience, the paint manufacturer should get involved. Shops can easily contact them and get a tech manager to shoot a spray out panel for the shop.

The shop either made a mistake, doesn`t know what their doing, or doesn`t care?

jimmie jam
01-01-2008, 12:03 PM
they wont go sanding on the bumper. if there is a prob with the paint it is in the color/pearl layer(prob the pearl if it looks a little diff then the rest of the car or it is the color layer if it is the wrong shade)

yes, it`s very hard to get the flakes to lay/flow the same way, especially 3 stage. (if they repaint they WILL sand the clear off, re-prime etc.) :nervous:

imported_Detailing Technology
01-01-2008, 12:03 PM
The color will not improve over time. As it ages, the surrounding areas age also. If clear "yellows" over 30 days time, there is something wrong with the clear. I think they told you 30 days hoping you would forget about it....

Urethane bumpers dont always match sheet metal when panted 3 stage paint. Look st some cars right out of the factory.

1. How old is the car?

2. Was the cover replaced with a genuine part or an after market?

3. Did they paint over a factory finished part and blend?

4. Was the part already refinished post factory?

5. Does the shop have a paint mixing machine on site or is the paint purchased form an auto body supply store?

David Fermani
01-01-2008, 12:05 PM
The mismatch could be from a couple things like either the base color and/or the metallic concentration.

kyotousa
01-01-2008, 12:06 PM
if it doesnt match in a month have them redo it.

get what you paid for. and they are prob lying to you because that pearl paint is some of the hardest to match.

well I know it probably won`t yellow up.....that`s why I am looking for someone that know the answer to shade some light.

Maybe someone could explain to me how does blend in work?

David Fermani
01-01-2008, 12:08 PM
that`s why I am looking for someone that know the answer to shade some light.

What state are you in?

kyotousa
01-01-2008, 12:12 PM
It didn`t match before you got it painted. Look at your rear bumper to confirm it.

Sorry, but the shop is trying to blow you off in hopes that you won`t come back. It won`t fade, especialy enough to match your fenders!

Well on the driver`s side he did a blend in and it did matched. Well not perfectly but acceptable.

So is it bad to do a blend in?

kyotousa
01-01-2008, 12:13 PM
What state are you in?

Texas

asdfsadfsadf

kyotousa
01-01-2008, 12:18 PM
The color will not improve over time. As it ages, the surrounding areas age also. If clear "yellows" over 30 days time, there is something wrong with the clear. I think they told you 30 days hoping you would forget about it....

Urethane bumpers dont always match sheet metal when panted 3 stage paint. Look st some cars right out of the factory.

1. How old is the car?

2. Was the cover replaced with a genuine part or an after market?

3. Did they paint over a factory finished part and blend?

4. Was the part already refinished post factory?

5. Does the shop have a paint mixing machine on site or is the paint purchased form an auto body supply store?

All I can tell you is the car is 2005 Acura TSX, it`s replaced by genuine parts, and it matched perfectly right out of factory.

As for your first comment it could be something like natural log graph...it`s not gonna keep yellowing or else my car would turn into a yllow car :cool:

David Fermani
01-01-2008, 12:31 PM
All I can tell you is the car is 2005 Acura TSX, it`s replaced by genuine parts, and it matched perfectly right out of factory.

I`d have to disagree with you on this. They don`t match perfectly from the factory. Most times, not even close. And, for this very reason, it isn`t acceptable for a shop or an insurance company to get them(or to pay to get them) to match the adjacent panels when they do repairs. They *should* actually be able to get the match alot closer though...

kyotousa
01-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Anyway...I can`t spot a mismatch paint on my car before...so I am gonna say they matched perfectly

Bottomline is the shop can`t get a match....So you are saying pretty much no solution here.