PDA

View Full Version : sealing a hole

blownvert
12-31-2007, 03:15 PM
If I have a hole in a plastic bottle and obviously water or whatever car wash product i use will be in it. What can I do to seal it? Clear plastic duck tape? The liquid will always be in it for use in the future you know what im saying. Think of it as a spray bottle with product in it. I just want to seal the small hole so no air or water gets out. I want to save this bottle because it has measurements at top to squeeze liquid into the capartment.

Civicman86
12-31-2007, 04:59 PM
super glue maybe?? If you want to go all out you can get a plastic epoxy type product, but I think that might be overkill for a pinhole

blownvert
12-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Its basically like a phillips screw driver hole, I have gorilla glue, but i dont think that will work for that hole size. you sure clear duck tape wrapped around a few times wont be air tight?

Civicman86
12-31-2007, 05:06 PM
well you could try the ducktape. Just fill the bottle up with water and let it sit for a week or two and see if it loses liquid.

From my experience I have found even really really small holes find ways to let liquid out. So if there is any way for it to get out with the ductape then it probally will.

You might just want to get the epoxy. Usually a two part that you can mix then apply. Its pretty cheap as well. <$10

blownvert
12-31-2007, 05:06 PM
you know what i cant use a epoxy because when i refill it i have to open up that hole to get to a piece to pop it out. hard to explain, i will try duck tape, something i can remove when i need to refill.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-31-2007, 05:08 PM
New bottle maybe?? Shouldn`t be more than a few bucks

blownvert
12-31-2007, 05:18 PM
I got it from uhaul for free. Its basically like this Dispensing Bottles (http://store.danase.com/32oudibo.html) but it does not have that extra cap to add liquid in or whatever. It is one 1 cap and the little plug is in there. For uhaul I guess it was just a 1 time use bottle then thrown away. It has measurements that I wanted. I couldnt pull the thing out of the bottle since the 32oz is too small to grip it with pliers. So i put a hole in the side and pushed the plug up from the inside and it came out. Now i have a open hole. I can do it with the 64oz bottle, but I wanted the smaller one. Oh well. If too much trouble i will buy the bottles from danase, since that is very easy.

Audi90Quattro
12-31-2007, 05:44 PM
You can find something at hardware/plumbing stores called expansion plugs I believe. They are a rubber plug in different diameters that have a screw/wingnut at the top that when you turn expands the rubber to make a tight fit.

blownvert
12-31-2007, 05:49 PM
You can find something at hardware/plumbing stores called expansion plugs I believe. They are a rubber plug in different diameters that have a screw/wingnut at the top that when you turn expands the rubber to make a tight fit.

can you take it out when you want to refill bottle? I think this is more money investing in a dumb plastic bottle. I will try duck tape lol if dont work I will buy them from danase.

Audi90Quattro
12-31-2007, 06:02 PM
You can just unscrew the wingnut and remove said plug. When I worked at a hardware store we sold them in plenty of sizes and were a few bucks at the most.

You can find them at lowes,home depot, ace hardware or any plumbing supply in your area.

This is a picture of what they look like.

http://www.plasticoid.com/New%20Graphics%203/expansion.jpg

blownvert
12-31-2007, 06:19 PM
lol i will have one ghetto plastic bottle.

BigJimZ28
12-31-2007, 06:42 PM
dude for real?.... fixing a hole in a bottle that was free

....cleaning clay.... what`s next

blownvert
12-31-2007, 06:49 PM
dude for real?.... fixing a hole in a bottle that was free

....cleaning clay.... what`s next

lol was worth a try :bolt

Saintlysins
12-31-2007, 07:41 PM
I say get a new bottle and my rational is simple.

Any tape/adhesive/glue/etc you use will be subject to the detergent/shampoo/cleaner deteriorating its adhesive properties and oozing back into the bottle contaminating the solution.

If that happens … you’ll loose far more money with bad, contaminated product in the bottle. Buy a new bottle, it’s soooo worth it.