PDA

View Full Version : need to restore

lonewolf0420
07-11-2005, 06:44 PM
what can I use to restore this ragtop? not sure what kinda fabric this is and i need something to restore the fake windows on this thing as well not sure what they are made of either. Any thoughts? This is my wifes truck and i`m trying to make this thing shine. sHe`s a little sad that my car ( the black one) is damn near showroom. check my sig
Her car is the truck to the left of my black car. i`ll try and get a better pic if you guys need.

usdm
07-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Best thing to do is to find out what kind of material
is used for the "ragtop". Probably could get that info
from a dealership.

As for the rear plastic "glass" a good plastic polishlike from
Meguiar`s or some others may do the trick.

lonewolf0420
07-12-2005, 07:39 AM
i think the ragtop is Vinyl.

holland_patrick
07-12-2005, 08:27 AM
I would use the 303 line of fabric (ie top) clean and condishiners also plexus for the Windowes..take the top off and attach it with clamps to a table and go at it with the PC on a low speed with a finishing pad to see where you get.. it should be better..

Beemerboy
07-12-2005, 08:33 AM
LONEWOLF

After you understand the material and I think that its vinyl or some sorts, I would clean with water and soap at the wash stage....Then use Ragg Topp cleaner and follow the directions. They also have a protectant that you can put on it, I have also used PB Trim Restore for this as well. You can buy both these product threw PAC, but you can find it on line with no problem.This should bring back the black part of the top. For the windows those are tricky to clean as you do not want to put allot of pressure on then while rubbing out the yellow film and scratches......I got this from another guy here at DC.....get a large frying pan and cover with a terry cloth towel, have your wife hold that up on the window while you are working the other side so that you can put decent pressure on it......The product that I like to use it Novus this comes in 3 levels of cleaning, the # 3 is for heavy film and scratch removal, the # 2 is for light cutting and polishing the # 1 is for polishing its a spray on cleaner and polish.

I have used this on quite a few tops and always had good to great results

lonewolf0420
01-16-2006, 03:15 PM
WHat should I use to restore that GLOW?

Beemerboy
01-16-2006, 05:51 PM
The Ragg Topp will bring back the glow in the material...also for the window a good plastic cleaner will take the yellow stuff off and bring back to life

lonewolf0420
01-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Is that spoken from experience or suggestion? Is the RaggTopp used weekly or it stands up for awhile?

Beemerboy
01-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Experience I have used both their products vinyl & material and they really do a great job...The material one that I did looked brand new again....I wash the top then use there cleaner, then rinse and let dry real good....Then use my shop vac with a brush attachment to remove all the lint from the top.....Spray on the protect-ant and let dry then put on a second coating....lastly I use the shop vac brush attachment to pick up a small amount of residue...the top comes out looking shinny and new again.....as for how long that lasts will depend on how the car is stored and weather.... The ones that I do on a regular bases look good after 3 months, but I don`t own a rag top to really give you an answer for longevity...sorry...

lonewolf0420
01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I appreciate the feedback

edschwab1
01-16-2006, 09:53 PM
I have use 303 convertible top cleaner for fabric or vinyl roofs. I protect vinyl roofs with 303 protectant. 303 cleaner is gentle, cleans and rinses well and can be used as a spot cleaner on the interior.

Eric