PDA

View Full Version : now this just made me sick...a local car wash`s technique...

LikeaRock
07-11-2005, 06:18 PM
Was stopped in traffic downtown today, and happened to be right in front of a local "hand wash" car wash place, and had a minute to watch them. There was a guy drying off a brand new black Denali with those red shop rags you can find at Costco and other places like that, another guy was cleaning the glass with one, and I could of sworn I saw a guy waxing a scratch out with a paper towel :beat

All I have to say to them is :rtfm

Polished60
07-12-2005, 11:38 PM
I didn`t realize how much people paid to sit in a line cars for a wash at one of those places. A guy I work w/ mentioned how he thought it was a good deal for only $35. Wash vac and a mercedes covered in swirls...

travisdecpn
07-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Just sit at the exit and hand them your card. :)

joyriide1113
07-13-2005, 06:32 AM
its the customers fault really, for giving people like that soo much business.

u should just consider it a 2nd hand car wash. thats what i tell people when they let me know where they wash their cars.

the worst thing about fools like them is trying to tell them what they`re doing wrong. then they go on and start blabing about how they would detail for very rich folk, blah blah, "scratch n sniff", blah.

LikeaRock
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
True, some people don`t know any better. My dad used to take his truck there every week to get it washed, and for about a year they did a great job, the truck always looked spotless. Plus the details he had done every 4 months kept the truck in good shape. After the first year or so the guys started slacking and really did a crappy job. There were always spots that were left unwashed, interior wasn`t cleaned, etc. All for $25. After that all started, I took it into my own hands to wash the truck every week, eventually I found DC and I couldn`t be happier :D

Those places always seemed kinda reiculous. Heck, I charge $15 for a wash and I do everything under the sun and more than they do!

My neighbor took his van to the same place a few weeks ago to have his van detailed, and they did an awesome job on the interior. the carpet looked like it was going to need replacing before they cleaned it, now it almost looks like new. The outside is a different story. They burned through the paint in a couple spots, various swirl marks from the buffer, they didn`t touch the wheels or fenderwells, wax residue everywhere, one tire was left undressed, etc etc. Just poor quality work.

joyriide1113
07-14-2005, 12:03 AM
geez! if someone burned thru my paint i would definately have them pay for a respray. thats damaging u`re vehicle and if they`re pro`s they should be insured to be able to pay for crap work like that

travisdecpn
07-14-2005, 12:15 AM
How do they forget to dress a tire??? I mean, come on, seriously how bad do you have to be to not notice that?

pappy
07-14-2005, 06:05 AM
My dad had an old lincoln. one of those big sleds. he had this "profesional" detailer do his car and it comes back and a big like foot by foot section of the hood is white....its like what couldnt you stop after the first little section burned though ...just had to test the rest of it i guess.

LikeaRock
07-14-2005, 11:58 AM
geez! if someone burned thru my paint i would definately have them pay for a respray. thats damaging u`re vehicle and if they`re pro`s they should be insured to be able to pay for crap work like that
Luckily it was at the bottom of the car, almost hidden. But when you get down low to inspect the fenderwells, it`s perfectly noticable. He mentioned it to the guys, and they said "That wasn`t us, no way", so he said screw it and didn`t want to cause any havoc and not get the repair.

And Travis, I think part of the reason why is because he had a new left front tire installed two days before the detail, so maybe it already looked shiney enough :crazy

RED GMC4x4
07-14-2005, 02:33 PM
What exactly is burining through?????

tubafeak
07-14-2005, 03:23 PM
What exactly is burning through?????

It`s when you heat the paint up when buffing (usually with a rotary) and it boils your color coat and flakes it off. It`s not easy to do, but if you aren`t careful about using a rotary you won`t have much trouble going through. You can also break through the color if you buff too much paint off, you`ll go right through to the primer or the metal. If you don`t use a rotary buffer you`ll have to try really hard to burn paint, some genius over on Autopia burned through his trunk paint with a PC, but he held it in one place for about an hour. Use more common sense than this and you`ll be fine.

muztang777
07-15-2005, 12:24 AM
That`s why I just wash my baby myself.... :)

RED GMC4x4
07-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Sounds like a goofy mistake. Thanks I wont do that :brick