PDA

View Full Version : stainless exhaust tips

whis9
12-30-2007, 11:43 AM
What recommendations (products) do you have for cleaning and polishing stainless exhaust tips.

imported_Totoland Mach
12-30-2007, 12:49 PM
I use a 2 step process:

First, I use Scotch-Brite soaked in a metal polish (whatever is handy...in my case, I have some Adams #2). That will get rid of carbon and accumulated gunk, etc.

Second, I use 2000 grit wet sand paper and metal polish again. That brings some luster to the tips.

Here`s a before/after on a BMW X5 I just completed

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/02%20X5%20Black%20TradeIn/02X5_TradeIn_ExhaustTipsBefore.jpg

After

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/02%20X5%20Black%20TradeIn/02X5_TradeIn_ExhaustTipsCleaned.jpg

If you want to "ramp up" to a mirror finish, you can follow the 2 steps above with a cotton buffing wheel attached to a drill and some metal polish like Mother`s Billet Creme or Meguiar`s NXT Metal Polysh.

Here`s a couple of finished exhaust tips with a mirror finish

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/07%20BMW%20550i/550i_Exhaust.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/Corvette/Corvette_Exhaust_TipsPolished.jpg

Toto

UpNorth
12-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Wow. That last shot especially is stunning.

blownvert
01-01-2008, 11:27 AM
which scotch brite? can i buy this sponge in the store? I need a brush/sponge for my exhaust tips

3wide
01-01-2008, 12:45 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o212/Totoland/02%20X5%20Black%20TradeIn/02X5_TradeIn_ExhaustTipsCleaned.jpg

what kind of lift is that??

blownvert
01-01-2008, 01:43 PM
the snap on tools one thats portable im guessing

imported_Totoland Mach
01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
which scotch brite? can i buy this sponge in the store? I need a brush/sponge for my exhaust tips

The Scotch-Brite we use at the shop is a dark green sheet (about the size of a sheet of sandpaper). I don`t know the number, but it`s available at hardware stores, Wally World, etc. I slice a strip of it with a razor blade, then pour the metal polish on it and insert it in the tips for inside cleaning. It`s very aggressive and only takes a few minutes to clean. I follow that with 2000 grit paper for a higher polish shine.

Toto

3 Wide: that lift is a Snap-On, but I don`t think they market it any longer. I`ve seen similar from Canada and Oklahoma. They usually advertise in Hemmings Motor News

blownvert
01-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I bought scotch brite 3 pack (no scratch) at cvs - Its a sponge and its blue. It does have that sandpaper on one side, but its not the green one. I saw the green sponge with that sandpaper on one side, but it said for heavy cleaning and not for polished, satin and stainless steel. I also saw the dark green sheet. I want to clean inside and outside my exhaust. Should I just get the dark green sheet or will this sponge work? It has a sandpaper side and soft sponge side. Like I said they also had the dark green sponge also with that 1 side sandpaper.

imported_Totoland Mach
01-01-2008, 04:25 PM
I bought scotch brite 3 pack (no scratch) at cvs - Its a sponge and its blue. It does have that sandpaper on one side, but its not the green one. I saw the green sponge with that sandpaper on one side, but it said for heavy cleaning and not for polished, satin and stainless steel. I also saw the dark green sheet. I want to clean inside and outside my exhaust. Should I just get the dark green sheet or will this sponge work? It has a sandpaper side and soft sponge side. Like I said they also had the dark green sponge also with that 1 side sandpaper.

I would try it, especially on the inside of the tips. Remember, you are going to be soaking the Scotch-Brite in a metal polish, so that diminishes the abrasiveness somewhat.

What you might also try for the outside of the tips is #0000 steel wool soaked in metal polish. That will provide a cleaning and shining similar to 2000 grit.

Toto

blownvert
01-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I would try it, especially on the inside of the tips. Remember, you are going to be soaking the Scotch-Brite in a metal polish, so that diminishes the abrasiveness somewhat.

What you might also try for the outside of the tips is #0000 steel wool soaked in metal polish. That will provide a cleaning and shining similar to 2000 grit.

Toto

It says multi purpose. I guess i can try it, but then i wont be able to return it. I just want to clean inside, outside and somewhat of the muffler. I was going to use mothers metal mag polish or blue magic, whatever thats called, blue polish. Its in a blue can. How do i soak the sponge in the polish. You mean in a bucket? Wont that waste alot. I was going to soak the sponge in soap and scrub and then do some metal polish scrubbing also, then seal it with polish.

imported_Totoland Mach
01-01-2008, 04:57 PM
blownvert: I just pour the polish on the pad and wail away. If you are using a paste metal polish, put a dab on the pad and work a small area. You might want to wear nitrile disposable gloves or some kitchen rubber gloves....it gets messy.

Toto

blownvert
01-01-2008, 06:54 PM
i guess i will try the multi purpose sponge, if not good enough. i will just use these for dishes or something and then buy the dark green ones.