PDA

View Full Version : Some help w/Zaino

njs619
12-30-2007, 03:34 AM
Hi everybody. I just purchased the Zaino ultimate kit and, bought some z8, and some z-pc to take out the scratches on my car. I have been searching through this site as to how to apply and, what to start with first. It seems everybody has a different approach. So my question is what do I start with first? I know the first two steps. Wash,clay. Then what do I do next? I would like to use the Z-pc since I bought. Also my car is a 2001 Lexus GS 300(platinum/silver) Also have some oxidization on the headlamps, what Zaino products would work best for this? I will be doin everything by hand. Thank you.

gmblack3
12-30-2007, 06:41 AM
Welcome! You are not going to have much luck in removing defects by hand. You can try using ZPC by hand working it in a back/forth motion (not circles) with one of the cotton apps, but I don`t think you will cut any moderate defects out unless you use a PC.

imported_Puckman
12-30-2007, 08:24 AM
After wash and clay you would then want to use the ZPC to attempt to remove what you can by hand. I agree with Bryan in that a machine is necessary to fully remove any scratches or surface marring but work it as aggressively as you can going over spots that need it a few times. I also agree that linear motions are best when doing this by hand.

After you polish the vehicle you then want to do a Z6 wipedown to try to clean the surface of anything left behind and to get the paint as clean as you can. ZAIO is the better next step but I don`t know if the Ultimate kit includes that product. After Z6 (or ZAIO) I would go with 3 layers of Z5Pro with ZFX. Z5Pro has some limited swirl hiding abilities and might help the appearance if you couldn`t remove all the marring. Remember - use extremely thin layers of application with these sealants. It should go on so thin you have a hard time seeing it on the surface. That`s also true with ZPC in that a little does better than a lot.

After about a week you might want to then add a layer or two of Z2Pro for some extra depth and shine. After each weekly wash and dry do a Z8 wipedown as a quick detailer.

imported_memnuts
12-30-2007, 09:33 AM
This is a good read for new Zaino users. :xyxthumbs

You Choose: Zaino Store (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=Z&Category_Code=YOUCHOOSE)

Th task at hand (polishing) can be achieved by hand application but will require a great deal of elbow-grease and time. Rather than using the supplied cotton applicator I would just use a hand size folded soft terry cotton. As this towel becomes used, flip to a clean surface and move on.

The thread listed above will give you some specific instructions on the usage of all the items you received in your kit.

Most of all have fun and enjoy your task. :D

Welcome to Autopia.

wannafbody
12-30-2007, 10:00 AM
Invest in getting a PC or Ridgid 2611 from Home Depot and a couple white and orange LC pads. With ZPC you`ll have your car looking Zainoific in no time. Apply Z5P/Z2P by hand.

imported_agentf1
12-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Wash Z7

Clay

ZPC

ZAIO

Z2P

Z6

Z5P

Z6

CS

Z8

This is the order I use. If you are not using any of the products just skip that step. All of Zaino`s products are very concentrated so apply them all sparingly. If you have any specific Q`s please feel free to PM me.

Zaino sells a plastic polish which would work great on your headlight covers but if you do not have that try ZPC or Z-AIO.

azenthusiast
12-30-2007, 10:54 AM
I would not recommend doing it by hand. I have done my Jeep twice, once with a buffer and once by hand. The machine took less time and looks a hundred times better.

Cleaning Fool
12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
If I had to go back to the hand method I would have given up on polishing long time ago

njs619
12-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks guys for all the helpful tips. If I get a machine which would be best for me? I`m a novice and this would be the first time using a machine. Also could I damage my paint? Thanks once again.

azenthusiast
12-30-2007, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys for all the helpful tips. If I get a machine which would be best for me? I`m a novice and this would be the first time using a machine. Also could I damage my paint? Thanks once again.

Many people on here swear by the UDM or PC. I don`t personally own one or have experience with one, but I saw no one had responded. I actually used a basic orbital from the 90`s on my first try and it went well for me. Many of the newer models, they swear it is almost impossible to damage paint with. I just started out with extremely light pressure and was careful to only use what was necessary. It took a lot of time, but I kept my paint intact and it looks great. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some more experienced advice.

Bert
12-30-2007, 08:24 PM

I bought a UDM last October. It did a fine job but I wish I would have spent $100 extra and bought a Flex. As far as damaging your paint, with a PC or a UDM, so long as you don`t go more aggressive than a light cutting pad (with Lake Country pads that is the Orange pad), even a novice should feel safe that they will not damage their paint. With a Flex, the first time you use it, don`t use the highest setting. It will take you longer but you may want to have your first detail under your belt before using everthing the Flex has.

njs619
12-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Thank you Azen, and bert for the response. I will look into the Flex. Thanks.

Bert
12-31-2007, 02:13 AM
Thank you Azen, and bert for the response. I will look into the Flex. Thanks.

They have been EXTREMELY popular. Most vendors have sold out. I believe danase.com will be getting some soon. Check the website and e-mail the owner (bob@danase.com), he will let you know.