PDA

View Full Version : boat covers

imageautodetail
12-26-2007, 07:18 PM
I got conned into detailing a boat yesterday and I am curious to if the cover can be machine washed and dried, it is basically a giant gas grill cover, an advise or experience would be great.

tkerr45
12-26-2007, 10:05 PM
You can if you find a machine large enough. Use woolite or similar mild cleaner, but then you have to waterproof it again. 303 Fabric protectant is about $80 a gal. I have seen people use Tompson Waterseal. You need to what kind of fabric the cover is made of and get the appropreate waterproofer.

Boozman
12-28-2007, 02:26 PM
I used Tent and canvas spray that you can buy in Wally World in the Sporting Goods Section.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Sometimes the easiest way to thoroughly clean a boat cover is to wash it while it is still on the boat. And to make things even easier, you can do it during a rainy day. That way you never have to worry about it drying out during the wash process and you will not have that much rinsing to do when you are finished. Been doing it that way for a long time.

DETAILKING
01-06-2008, 10:05 AM
I have cleaned covers before with woollite.....and then use bottles of 303 fabric protectant to restore the water resistance

imported_Lightman
01-09-2008, 03:19 AM
I`ve used various cleaners on my jetski covers over the last few years and used 303 fabric guard to restore the water resistance, however my experience is that the 303 fabric guard isn`t very effective..in fact I`ve noticed almost no repellancy from it at all..been pretty disappointed with that product. I`ve seen better results from scotchguard.

RitcheyRch
01-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I have used fantastic in the extra capacity washer at the laundromat to clean my boat cover as well as car covers.

imageautodetail
01-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Just to note, washed with woolite in an xl washer, worked fine, boat was finished and delivered about 2 weeks ago