PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Foam Gun Question

Gryz
12-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I just got a foam gun and have searched for the answer to my question without luck.

Do you add the ounce or two of soap to the container on the foam gun and then let the water from the hose go into it to mix.....or do you add the soap AND some water to the container like it says on the bottle of the sample I got with my gun and then let the water from to hose go into it? "Mix 2 ounces of shampoo with 6-8 ounces of water inside the reservoir."

I don`t see why you would do the latter when the water is going to mix with it anyway...

Brian_Brice
12-26-2007, 06:27 PM
There are no stupid questions, only people that asks things :lol

Setec Astronomy
12-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Some shampoos are too thick to draw up the siphon tube properly unless you dilute them with water in the reservoir. I use thin shampoos full strength in the cup and set the slide bar to the smallest hole (1 oz/gallon). If I use something thick like Meg`s GC, I do 3:1 water:shampoo (8 oz shampoo, 24 oz water, since I have the 32 oz cup) and put the slide bar in the middle (4 oz/ gal) which gives me 1 oz per gal at the car...some people use much less soap than that.

BigJimZ28
12-26-2007, 06:31 PM
yes follow the directions and mix it first

the water does not mix with it as far as I know

Chris@Optimum
12-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks Setec, I was about to quit using my foam gun cause it didn`t perform the way I wanted. It was because my shampoo was too thick. After using the waster dilution solution I`m back in business. Seems like common sense now but the idea had escaped me till you mentioned it here.

BigAl3
12-26-2007, 07:23 PM
if you want lots of foam, try the EO1 car wash straight un-diluted. i happen to try it one day since i had 15+ EO1 bucketless car wash soaps (got them on clearance a while back) and it really surprised me...

http://eagleone.com/images/products/Car_Wash.jpg

Gryz
12-26-2007, 07:24 PM
So how would you know if you needed to add water to the container along with the soap...just trial and error?

Pats300zx
12-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Al...did you try the EO Bucketless Wash in the foam gun? I am curious how that would perform. I have 3 bottles of that stuff laying around.

BigAl3
12-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Al...did you try the EO Bucketless Wash in the foam gun? I am curious how that would perform. I have 3 bottles of that stuff laying around.

yes pat, and it`s the same as the one in the big bottle pictured above. try it out, you`ll be surprised...

BlackElantraGT
12-27-2007, 01:34 AM
I don`t have a foam gun, but I do have a foam cannon and IME, I find that it works better when I already mix it with water beforehand, instead of putting in straight soap and then letting the water mix in.

I use a 32 oz bottle and I find that when I use straight soap without water, the foam cannon takes a bit of time for it to add the water and then it seems to come out in spurts instead of a steady flow. It also doesn`t mix up the soap & water as well.

ptaylor_9849
12-27-2007, 08:28 AM
I put a couple of ounces of DP Extreme Foam in the bottom of the foam gun then slowly fill the rest with warm water to about 90% full. That leaves me some room at the top to shake and mix the solution. This works really well and makes unreal foam. When the weather gets better I`m gonna make a quick video showing just how awesome DP Extreme Foam works.

Patrick

Way2SSlow
12-27-2007, 08:57 AM
I usually dilite NXT soap in mine and it foams pretty well. I wish I could use my foam gun. We need to get some rain down here.

Accumulator
12-27-2007, 02:24 PM
..[I use about].. 1 oz per gal at the car...some people use much less soap than that.

That`d be me :D Though I`m increasing the strength a little bit while keeping an eye on how my LSPs respond. But keep in mind that my foamgun/wash techniques are different from those of many people.

I`m currently using about six ounces of Griot`s added to enough water to fill a gallon jug. Then I fill the foamgun from that (and usually use the weakest setting at the gun). No, that doesn`t make a thick clingy foam that`ll dwell on the vehicle, but that`s not what I want.