PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Hot Shine

ctruda
12-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi,

today I used Meguiars hot shine tire foam (no rub tire shine)

It says to avoid paint and other surfaces etc. Well I was careful, but not careful enough. I will submit pics once I get them up, but it left a film that almost seems to be beneath the clear coat. I know it isn`t but it won`t come off no matter how hard I try.

Has anyone experienced this, or have any suggestions?

Thanks

imported_bigfoot
12-25-2007, 08:14 PM
What you can do is take care of your tires first and then wash the car. In that way, you will remove any film left by the tire protectant. Another thing is that you can use a gel rather than a spray and in that way you avoid the dressing running into your paint.

mblgjr
12-25-2007, 08:29 PM
I use the HotShine aerosol (non-foam) and have had it get on the paint once. Its very oily and solvent based; so I would think Prepsol or IPA would take it right off. I`ve never had any issues because it doesn`t splatter/sling/or overspray significantly.

Best of luck..

BigJimZ28
12-26-2007, 12:17 AM
it won`t come off no matter how hard I try.

what did you try?

a QD or a wash should take care of it

Brian_Brice
12-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Also use an applicator, weather you`re using a gel or liquid, eliminates spraying anywhere near the paint.

ctruda
12-26-2007, 01:23 AM
I did do the tires first, and then tried a Turtle Wax wash.

I didn`t notice the film until later, but the wash wouldn`t take it off.

What is an IPA beside "beer terms"

Thanks

Setec Astronomy
12-26-2007, 01:58 AM
From this (http://www.autoint.com/magazine/basics_of_protection.php)page at Automotive International:

"Ford, General Motors and Chrysler have issued advisory or technical bulletins to their dealers to not use heavy petroleum distillate-dimethal silicone dressings for another reason -- paint and wheel staining.

Today` s front and rear bumpers, side molding, etc, require a flex agent to be added to the paint so the paint has a certain amount of "give" or flexibility to it.

This "flex agent" causes the paint on these parts to be more porous or less tight on the regular painted vehicle surfaces.

When the heavy petroleum distillate/dimethal silicone oil dressings are applied, they dissolve the waxes, polymers, etc. in the side wall and then "sling" or throw them off onto these flex agents parts creating stains. The Big three auto companies have found that it is next to impossible to remove the stains, In some cases, even repainting the part doesn` t work as the stain comes back through the new paint, requiring the part to be replaced.

All factory styled wheels are coated with a clear coat type of coating. Some are more porous than others and use of an incorrect dressing may stain them the same as the body parts."

IPA = Isopropyl Alcohol

imported_Gears
12-26-2007, 09:47 AM
I had this on a new Chevy I bought. I tried everything I had and nothing would remove the spots. But don`t give up, heres the good part, after about six months they just faded away to nothing. Maybe the same thing will happen for you.

Mr. Vic
12-26-2007, 10:57 AM
This happened to me during the first time that I detailed me black lincoln. it was very noticable. But after a couple washes it was gone. Remember to always clean your tires first, then wash you car.

johny
12-26-2007, 12:35 PM
Can I join this support group? :chuckle:

I used Hot Shine for awhile last year ... I noticed a white hazy film on my side skirts. At first I figured it was wax that I forgot to buff off. But then I noticed the haze only appeared on my rocker panels. I stopped using the Hot Shine spray and the haze vanished after a couple of washes.

I just use tire foam or gel when I dress my tires now, since the aerosol in Hot Shine tends to fly everywhere -- especially in a breeze. The little twisty top is a neat idea (to control the width of the spray cone), but it would still make a mess for me.

BlueLibby04
12-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Ive never had a problem removing over spray from Hot Tire Shine with just a QD.

I dont use it anymore as it was to $$. The HTS Gel is a great product.

Saintlysins
12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
“Setec Astronomy†explained it perfectly.

Some cars will be affected more and/or longer depending on the manufacturers paint used, the products on the car offering protection, and how soon/slowly it’s removed.

My team has taken it off customer’s cars with thorough clean & buff, and other instances we tell the customer to wash it every week and come back in a month or so. Either way, I don’t think you’ll end up with permanent staining over time.

Hope it works out for you sooner than later.