PDA

View Full Version : 3m Pi 3000 Rc...

wannafbody
12-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I got a chance to play around with this and have some opinions. First this compound seems to have some cut,definitely more than OC. I tried it with my Ridgid RO at 10K with an orange CCS pad. The polish doesn`t seem to spread real well. It seems to like to be worked in a smaller area. 3M reccomends 2` by 2` areas. It doesn`t seem to have a long working time either, definitely shorter than OC. For a quick try I was fairly impressed with it`s defect removal capability. It leaves a subtle haze (by RO) and (I think) needs to be 3 stepped for best results. I think it would work best by rotary with a Megs burgundy pad and may be able to be 2 stepped that way.

Accumulator
12-23-2007, 12:05 PM
wannafbody- Your findings mirror mine. I was comparing it to its predecessor, PI-III RC 05933 and liked the 05933 better as it finished out nicer. It`s probably just familiarity, but I like the shorter work time (as compared with some other products). I suspect some people will find the 3M too dusty, that seems to be pretty common with their stuff.

Invigor
12-23-2007, 12:20 PM
pf 3000 ultrafina is so incredible :) I think I`ve only used the RC for the hood of an F150...I don`t remember how well it went...

danponjican
12-23-2007, 04:26 PM
I got my sample in today of this and will try it next week. From what I`ve heard, 3M compounds are designed for wool pads. I`ll try it with an edge wool pad.

Accumulator
12-23-2007, 07:26 PM
.. From what I`ve heard, 3M compounds are designed for wool pads..

Hmm..the older series PI-II/III worked fine with foam. For that matter, they even worked well by hand.

Junebug
12-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I`ve tried the 3M Extra Cut 3000 with wool and foam (their pads) and I like it. It has very good correcting abilities, cleans up well too. I don`t care for the 3M Swirl Remover - I use IP on their polishing pad instead. Then I use Ultafina SE on the 3M blue pad - perfection!

Accumulator
12-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Gee, seems like everybody likes that UltraFina SE :think:

wannafbody
12-23-2007, 11:05 PM
The shorter work time isn`t necessarily a bad thing. Do you guys work it until it dusts or quit before it dusts?

imported_rydawg
12-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Gee, seems like everybody likes that UltraFina SE :think:

The Ultrafina is the best finishing product I have ever tried. It also works wonders for those ultra soft GM blacks. It has passed all the harsh chemical wipedowns too. It`s good to know nothing will finally not come back on these finicky types of paint.

imported_rydawg
12-23-2007, 11:29 PM
The 3000 Extra Cut is a great compound for wool or foam. The regular 3000 compound works great for the milder paints and also works perfect with wool.

The 3000 Swirl Remover polish is kind of wierd, cause it does not remove much of anything, but it will finesse the total gloss perfect with the right pad if worked correctly. It however does have some lethal spatter. Does have a long working time too.

I really want to get my hands on some of the UK 80349.

Junebug
12-24-2007, 01:28 PM
The 3M video where they do all the steps from wetsanding to UltrafinaSE stresses that you do each step completely, I think that is where I messed up in the past, trying to rush through.

Accumulator
12-24-2007, 01:32 PM
rydawg- Thanks for the additional info :xyxthumbs

JuneBug- Yeah, 3M stuff lends itself to a multi-step approach and I wouldn`t want to try abbreviating it (at least not too much).

wannafbody- Yeah, I generally like shortish work times, as long as they aren`t in the goofy instant-flash range. With the 3M stuff I`ve used, I stop/wipe off before I get dry dusting.

Junebug
12-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah, it takes multi steps on some of the turds I get to detail. I sometimes wonder why people thrash their cars so bad!