PDA

View Full Version : New member checking in !

kaiv
12-22-2007, 08:27 AM
Hi there!

I just wanted to check in to say hi and thank the author DavidB for the awesome write ups I`ve been reading most of the night !

I`ve owned my current car for over two years, did a lot of work to it, including an engine swap, but never detailed it. Everything about detailing just seemed so confusing with all this vocabulary and products ahah. All I`ve done so far are weekly hand washes.

Unfortunatly my 1995 paint is in pretty bad conditions with tons of rock chips all over the car but I`m convinced I can do something more than a simple wash to make it look better.

So here`s my combat strategy for tomorow:

*Hand wash + dry

*Mild detailing clay bar (with it`s lubricant spray)

*Mild polish/swirl remover

*Pre-wax cleaner

*Wax and buff

Is any step in the wrong order ? Something I am forgetting ? Does that seem like a good start for a paint that has not been taken care of other than regular shampoo washes ?

I will start off with off the shelf products from autozone and the like.

Wish me luck ! :)

Pats300zx
12-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Welcome to Autopia....:welcome

Saintlysins
12-22-2007, 11:43 AM
WELCOME! ! !

So … you’ve done an engine swap, and have the car running the way you want … you’ve found the perfect place to get the shine and luster back.

Some may differ with this next line, but for a ‘first-time-detail’ on a 13 year old car, your technique and product choices will be fine. Once you’re done, you will be able to recognize specific flaws/defects you’d like to concentrate on. Bring those questions back, (pictures will give you thorough, detailed, responses and answers). The answers may require better product choices for the results you desire.

Which leads me to the final part … if you already have the off-the-shelf products, go with it … but if you haven’t purchased any products, you may want to consider what you’re investing in from the start. You can easily drop $100.00++ on products only to end up without the results you expected, thereby needing to spend more money on quality products that will (may) give you the results you were looking for. So be conservative with the off-the-shelf products.

All the best with your efforts and results.

Lowejackson
12-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Welcome to Autopia :xyxthumbs

KnuckleBuckett
12-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Welcome.

My initial advice:

Get a PC, Flex, (or any if their ilk).

Start out by really spending time in this forum.

Make a list of the Products and the order you plan to use them in. MFs, Machine, pads, the whole enchilada!

Post the above before you buy, so we can have a go at catching any anomolies.

Use any tools at hand. This forum, YouTube, Detail University Forum, and if possible use a product line(s) that has good solid personal support from the company.

Ultima, Adam`s are two among many with this benefit.

Take your time. Write it out. Work it through in your mind and then put it into practice.

And. ASK us anything and as much as you feel you need to plenty of help in this forum!!

One more thing. Becoming a good detailer hobby or pro is an iterative process. Have fun with it! Use it to chill out. It isn`t a race or brand name competition.

Enjoy and welcome!!!

kaiv
12-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks a ton for the replies and advice guys !!

I got started today with the first couple of steps of my detailing adventure and I have to say -granted I have a lot more to learn and do- I`m pretty pleased with the results so far !

I went ahead and spent about $35 on supplies from the local auto store. It`s true that it would have been smarter to buy better quality products from the get-go but I wanted to get started right away since I have a little photoshoot planned with a few friends on sunday !

So far I`ve clayed most of the car (minus roof, c-pillars and rear bumper) following DavidB`s write up and the paint went from feeling like sand paper to feeling really smooth. (I used Mothers` kit)

I followed with some Turtlewax scratch and swirl remover using a proper applicator on the hood and front fenders and the results were really noticeable althought I`m starting to think it could still get better.

I`ll make sure to take some pictures and ask whenever I have a question ! Actually, I do not know what PC, Flex, ilk or MF mean :help:

Thanks again for your replies gents !

kaiv
12-22-2007, 10:29 PM
`Thanks a ton for the replies and advice guys !!\r\n\r\nI got started today with the first couple of steps of my detailing adventure and I have to say -granted I have a lot more to learn and do- I\`m pretty pleased with the results so far !\r\n\r\nI went ahead and spent about $35 on supplies from the local auto store. It\`s true that it would have been smarter to buy better quality products from the get-go but I wanted to get started right away since I have a little photoshoot planned with a few friends on sunday !\r\n\r\nSo far I\`ve clayed most of the car (minus roof, c-pillars and rear bumper) following DavidB\`s write up and the paint went from feeling like sand paper to feeling really smooth. (I used Mothers\` kit) \r\n\r\nI followed with some Turtlewax scratch and swirl remover using a proper applicator on the hood and front fenders and the results were really noticeable althought I\`m starting to think it could still get better.\r\n\r\nI\`ll make sure to take some pictures and ask whenever I have a question !\r\n\r\nThanks again for your replies gents !`

Saintlysins
12-24-2007, 03:21 AM
... Actually, I do not know what PC, Flex, ilk or MF mean :help: \r\n\r\nThanks again for your replies gents !`

There`s a really great Acronym Decoder Thread (the first one on the forum pages) that some really nice guy put together ... oh wait ... that guy is me ... :) ... which will assist you with all the acronyms on this site. If you find one not on my list, let me know and I`ll get an answer to you and add it to the list.

If you want a copy e-mailed to you, just ask as I have it in Word and Excel format so you can print it and keep it handy as you surf through these posts.

Hope it helps.

KnuckleBuckett
12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Here is a link to Saintlysins acronym decoder sheet. Now you will always know what we are talking about in our abreviations.

http://autopia.org/forum/faq.php?faq=secret_decoder_ring

kaiv
12-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Awesome, thanks guys !

I edited my post above for clarity. I don`t know why it came out like that. It also took some time before appearing in the thread.

Anyway, I`ll get back soon with some pictures asking for advice !

:thx

jshillin
12-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Where`s the pics at?? What car are you working on??

kaiv
12-30-2007, 08:20 AM
Here`s a quick picture.

It`s a 1995 BMW "332is" a 325is with a S52 swap.

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7000/cimg2417resizeig4.jpg

It has approx. 260 flywheel HP and should weight in just a tad under 3000 pounds. It`s a pretty fun ride ! I`ll take some more pictures and close ups pretty soon, hopefuly you guys can guide me as to what to do/what products to get to help the poor old paint !

EDIT: God it took over 3 days to get this message posted. :(

And when it finally gets aproved not only it`s all crunched up I have to edit but it doesn`t even go back on the first page !

What do I have to do to post freely on this forum ?

kaiv
01-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Well, looks like it`s going to rain today until at least sunday. No detailing for me :(

Brian_Brice
01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Welcome Kaiv!!!

cheapshot
01-04-2008, 06:51 AM
I also recommend getting a PC or Flex, I have not used the flex but from posts on the board it`s more aggressive then PC and still pretty safe. PC is a great beginner tool.

Every thing you posted is in the right order.

Your most important step will be PC, Pad, and Polish choice.

These choices will make the biggest difference in the end.

Your car is black so if swirl /scratches are bad you may have to use a two step on the polishing process to yield the best results.