PDA

View Full Version : Quick guide to how I use Menzerna

SVR
12-20-2007, 11:01 PM
Since 2004 I have been using Menzerna and loving it ever since

There are many posts popping up on various forums about help with menz, why isn`t it working, yada yada.

So I thought it would be good to put down my technique using my makita rotary

It`s been improved upon alot through the reading of various threads from everyone here, I absorb how you each use them and see how each technique goes on a guinea pig car at my warehouse/workshop

I always begin at 600 rpm. the product (a five inch line for initial application) is applied to the surface and the left middle section of the pad (9 o clock) is lifted slightly and the pad picks up the polish as I move the machine in one right to left direction

Sometimes I put medium pressure on the machine at this speed.

A horizontal pass is the first and is followed by a vertical pass and then back to horizontal

As I notice the polish beginning to spread nicely, leaving an oily/milky trail, the speed is lifted to 900 rpm and two passes (horizontal then vertical) are done

After a couple of H & V passes, the polish is losing that oily line and it is time to step up to 1200 rpm (about half way between 2 and 3 on the dial)

Once again the line returns and a 3D hologram like trail is left once the machine moves past each section of panel

No more than one pass of each type is completed and the polish is telling me by the dissappearing oily line to get up to 1500 to 1700 rpm

When at this speed, I believe that PO91, PO106FF, PO87MC and Powergloss work best and spread the best. Maximum defect removal is done at this speed range

I can do three to five passes before the now transparent oily line is drying up and gone

As soon as I see the line going away and the paint looking crystal clear, I know that it`s time to burnish at 850 rpm. at this rpm the line returns and the paint looks it`s best

A horizontal pass at 850 and two vertical passes at 600 to 700 and the polish is finished and it is now time to remove the residue

On occasions where the temp is in the 90+ F range, there may be a need for one or two spritzes of QD or water (I prefer RO water) near the end of the 1500 to 1700 rpm polishing stage.

I absolutely never finish any polish including menzerna at 1500 rpm or even 1200.

A greater clarity, depth, reflection and colour enhancement will result when burnished at anything from 600 to 1000 rpm

My favourite product of all the menzerna lineup is 106FF because it has the most oils and spreads fantastically well with heaps of 3D hologram llike ines as you work

Finally, if using 85RD finishing polish, 1200 to 1350 rpm is best IMO.

It doesn`t always work as long as 106 and there is no need to go to 1550 rpm or above and most likely it won`t like working at above 1490 rpm

Keep on buffing people and I thank you all for your input and vast knowledge

P.S. A pass to me is one complete series of left to right, right to left from the top to the bottom of the 2 x 2, 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 foot section (depends on angles of panels)

A vertical pass is just the same. top to bottom of section. (usually five complete movements

The humble detailer

Matt

Al Buff
12-20-2007, 11:59 PM
man.. thank you! the "3d lines" and explanation is great! it sure answered a lot of my questions.

how long and what speeds should you work SIP for? im guessing shorter?

tod071
12-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Nice detailed write-up. I`ll have to try that. Thanks!

SVR
12-21-2007, 07:27 AM
man.. thank you! the "3d lines" and explanation is great! it sure answered a lot of my questions.

how long and what speeds should you work SIP for? im guessing shorter?

I believe SIP is the same as my PO85RD 3.01 IP

Pretty much one and half to three minutes, keep a sharp watch on the trails

The polish will speak to you through them. and allow you to achieve a brilliant result

Showroom Shine
12-21-2007, 08:02 AM
Very good explanation of product use and detailed of how it looks. Also speeds used.

Thanks ,this will help alot of people who were afraid to ask!

SVR
12-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Well that`s what I should be doing.

Rather than arguing about which polish is better etc

imported_weekendwarrior
12-21-2007, 08:56 AM
SCR - do you use a Makita?

SVR
12-22-2007, 12:55 AM
yes, a 4 year old 9227 with 14mm thread.

Junebug
12-24-2007, 01:37 PM
I just started using Menzerna ( I know I Know - call me cheap!) I just wanted to say thanks for the tips!