PDA

View Full Version : Help with leather/vinyl seats

Banacheq
12-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Take a look at the pics below and the questions are obvious... :sadpace:

What can be done for the leather (seat) portion or is it too far gone? Can the vinyl spot be repaired by a do-it-yourselfer?

I`ve ordered a "Leather/Vinyl Repair Kit" from leatherworldtech.com, which hasn`t been delivered yet, but I`m wondering if anyone has tried a product like this and what kind of results they got. I`d include a link, but they`re not listing the exact product I ordered for some reason. Out of stock because it`s so awesome I hope :nervous: . The kit I bought was $31.95 plus shipping.

http://www.bremel.com/iimages/seatrepair1.jpg

http://www.bremel.com/iimages/seatrepair2.jpg

Old Pirate
12-18-2007, 04:10 PM
I never use the products you mention, but if it was me i would start looking at a salvage yard or eBay for a replacement seat....just my 2 cents....or you can try Leatherique Leather Care Kit. Good luck......

capricho
12-28-2007, 12:53 AM
`Check out this thread I wrote in my Acura TL Forum regarding leather seat repair:\r\n\r\nAcura TL Community - Fabrion Leather Repair (http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145049&referrerid=181390)`

45calmike
03-01-2008, 10:07 PM
any updates on your kit repair?

Banacheq
03-02-2008, 01:21 AM
UPDATE: The piece of vinyl that was peeling back came off completely before I could get to it. GRRR. My wife claims to not have noticed and the piece is MIA. Other than opening the kit, I haven`t messed with the it.

The vehicle is a `97 Mitsubishi Montero SR and there are other improvements I`d rather spend my money on, so I think I will end up getting a replacement seat or a seat cover at this point.

jayjacque
03-02-2008, 10:16 AM
You`re right, this ain`t no do-it-yourselfer. That`s the one problem I have with companies nowadays selling the do-it-yourself products. They are fine if it is minimal damage, but not for something like this.

I probably do on average 5 or 6 jobs like this every week (though most are a little less damage). All the damaged leather shown in your pics have to be sanded down and possibly still fill some cracks before coloring. Also need to use some kind of sealer or adhesion promoter before coloring would be advisable, so as to not dye over just bare leather and have a bleed thru effect. The vinyl on the side of the seat cannot just be filled with leather filler product, but needs heat welding instead.

In your area there are probably a number of leather/vinyl repair companies; call them, send pictures and tell them you can`t afford over $125 or whatever your conscience dictates. That might work, and with an experienced repairman should get good results. One other thing is that they will have to work on the whole seat, since there are small cracks and touch-ups in other places as well. And how`s the passenger seat look?

If you end up trying yourself, acetone or lacquer thinner along with 220 grit wetsandpaper can speed up the prep process, but be extra careful to only use those chemicals on the worst leather areas and don`t spill any on adjacent parts of the seat. Good luck

jayjacque
03-02-2008, 10:18 AM
P.S. That little missing piece of vinyl is not a big deal. Whether missing or still in tact as shown in the pic, for a repairman it is the easiest part of the whole job.

Quality Leather
07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Jay`s post is pretty spot on. The vinyl would be a little difficult for a new person, but sanding and refinishing the leather should be fairly straight forward.