PDA

View Full Version : Need pads/plate for a Craftsman 6" polisher

Pages : [1] 2

kickslop
12-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Yes, I know, please don`t lay into me about not having the ultimate polisher. It`s what I have, so please work with me :)

I`m in need of more proper supplies for the unit. You know, something other than the Craftsman bonnets.

I`ve looked around and it seems that the Sonus pads are made "for" the PC. And it seems like the DAS pads are made "for" The Ultimate Detailing Machine.

I am in the process of 1500 + 2000 wet sanding my new paint job (a nightmare story, but I am trying to move forward with positivity). So far I`ve done the hood, roof, trunk, and top of the rear bumper. I don`t think I`ve destroyed anything yet, but after 9 hours I pretty much collapsed.

From what I can tell, I need:

* A backing plate to accept a certain line of pads

* A decent rubbing compound to start with + ?????? pad

* A semi-fine polish + ?????? pad. I own a full container of Griot`s Garage Fine Polish, but I`m happy to use whatever someone recommends.

It`s Xmas time and I am looking to place an order today with overnight shipping so that I have the supplies to do the work during my vacation time this weekend + Monday.

I beg for your help with consideration for what I have to work with.

kickslop
12-18-2007, 09:59 AM
Also, I have a bunch of Autopia new user discounts to use at Sonus and autopia-carcare.com ;)

kickslop
12-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Spindle size is listed as "1/2 in. - 20 threads per inch"

BigJimZ28
12-18-2007, 10:21 AM
the pads are just pads and can be used with any velcro BP

I am not sure where(or if) you can find a BP with that size spindle

wannafbody
12-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I`m assuming this is a rotary. Any rotary velcro backing plate should work. Danase and Excel should carry them. LC CCS pads or Sonus 6 1/2 inch pads will work fine. I`d suggest a trip to the local paint supply store or CarQuest to get some 3M 3000 Rubbing compound. I`d also suggest a wool pad since you are trying to remove sanding scratches. Remember to tape creases, avoid edges and keep the machine moving at all times. Follow up with a milder polish such as Presta Ultra cutting creme light. Finish with a finishing polish such as Menzerna Final Polish 2 or Sonus.

BigJimZ28
12-18-2007, 10:57 AM
I`m assuming this is a rotary. Any rotary velcro backing plate should work.

as far as I know in the states the rotary BP are 5/8"

not 1/2" like he said he has

kickslop
12-18-2007, 11:34 AM
5/16 24 threads is what I`ve read for the PC etc... :(

I just went out to CarQuest and picked up 3M Perfect-It III compound and Meguiar`s Number 9, so that`s a start. The rubbing compound I was using after wet sanding was taking fooooreeevveerr -- at least 3 full applications to get things remotely cut down. I`ll be careful with the 3M at first ;)

jimmybuffit
12-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I try to stay away from 1500 grit when possible. I usually find that 2000 will get most defects, with a little patience, without leaving `deep` tracks. Then, I make several passes with 4000 (yes, 4000) and then finish with a medium cut polish like Meg`s #83.

Good Luck, sorry about your situation...

JB

BigJimZ28
12-18-2007, 12:00 PM
5/16 24 threads is what I`ve read for the PC

yes the PC/UDM have an internal(female) 5/16 thread

and Rotarys have a Spindle(exterternal/ male) 5/8" thread

the other pc
12-18-2007, 12:18 PM
kickslop,

You haven’t even told us what machine you have yet. Sears had made lots of different ones.

Is it a rotary or an orbital? What’s the part number/model number? Can you post a pic?

PC.

the other pc
12-18-2007, 12:25 PM
kickslop,

You haven’t told us what machine (part number/model number) you have. From the threading you mentioned it sounds like the rotary.

BigJimZ28’s right about plate threading. The bottom line is that nobody makes a standard backing plate that fits the Sears rotary because it doesn’t follow the standard.

You’d need to either make an adaptor, modify a standard plate to the oddball Sears threading or modify a Sears plate to be Velcro compatible.

PC.

kickslop
12-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Yes, it`s the rotary model (they only make 1 rotary that I can see).

Bummer! I`ll have to make do with what I`ve got for now then.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

kickslop
12-18-2007, 01:16 PM
I guess I learned my lesson.

I`m going to sell off my 10" Craftsman random orbital waxer/buffer as well as this 6" Craftsman rotary polisher.

I ordered a UDM unit + some pads with my new Autopia.org member discount. THANKS for the savings!

jshillin
12-18-2007, 01:34 PM
A rotary and a wool pad should make quick work of the wet sanding scratches. The rotary will be much gast than a PC/UDM at removing sand scratches.

kickslop
12-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I`ll keep the rotary for a few weeks then :)