PDA

View Full Version : Newbie just found this site

KC8WJG
07-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Hi, name here is Adam (amateur radio call KC8WJG) and I have a 1991 basic Black Chevy S10 Blazer with a paint job that`s seen better days.

I`m thinking that my clearcoat may be worn out because every time I try to use wax and polish, my finish looks good for several days or until we get a good rain, then it gets dull again.

Now, I`ve had this vehicle for several years and it`s getting ready to turn over 200K and I don`t see it lasting but another few years. I just can`t justify a even a cheapo paint job it I only drive it for another couple of years. It would be different if I could afford some needed body and mechanical work, as I do like the body style. I just wish I could keep the finish from getting so dull all the time.

Just last week, I decided to shine the truck up, so it would at least look sharp for our family vacation to North Carolina. After a week, and several rain storms, the paint is already looking hazy.

This time, I didn`t even bother with wax or real polish, I just used a $3 bottle of Finish 2000 from K-Mart. I spent about 30 minutes, and it looked great for the first few days. But like I said, it`s already starting to dull. Then if I take it through a car wash, it looks even more so.

Does this sound consistent with a failed clearcoat?

If I went to a professional detailer, could they restore my finish? About how much would I spend?

Is it possible to get just a shot of new clear coat(s) with out the full expense of a new paint job? How much would that be?

Remember, I``ll be lucky to have the truck a year from now, and don`t want to spend too much, just enough to make it look a little shinier as I drive out my last miles in it.

Thanks for reading

Adam

jaybs02
07-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi Adam :welcome

It`s hard to say without seeing any pics if your clear is failing (or already failed), you may have some severe oxidation that you are only masking when you coat it.

You might want to start with a paint cleaner (you could try ColorX) to try and remove some of the oxidation before you apply a LSP (Last Step Product).

The good news is that anything that you learn here you will be able to use on your new car when you eventually get it get.

Good luck
"J"

Waxxy
07-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi There!! Welcome to Detail City! :welcome

KC8WJG
07-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks, glad to be here.

Not really big into detailing, just kind of a "shadetree detailer" I suppose. Look forward to learning a few things

Where can I find ColorX?

Adam