PDA

View Full Version : LSP Protection

Wolf-Strong
12-15-2007, 12:30 AM
I was reading through some different descriptions of different LSPs, and noticed that Klasse said that it was scratch-resistant, Liquid Glass raved about being so `carbon` tough and slick, while Surf City combo again raved about how slick it was.

I am REALLY interested in a LSP that can protect really well, especially against scratching as I will be doing ONR washes to my car (apartment complex) and parking in a dirt lot during the work day. Does Klasse really protect against scratching, or do you guys know of one that does?

Accumulator
12-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Gotta watch you don`t take the advertising hyperbole too seriously ;)

I once had some *VERY* light micromarring that was only in my KSG...didn`t penetrate through all the layers to the paint. But that was only *one* time and it was such light marring that most people couldn`t see it.

So don`t expect any LSP to prevent scratching, just doesn`t happen IME. Something hard enough to scratch automotive paint is hard enough to do it through LSPs.

A layerable LSP is good as you can get more of it on top of the paint. And a slick LSP is good because [stuff] that`s potentially abasive won`t readily adhere to it. But then it`s a matter of washing so gently that you don`t press the abrasive dirt against the paint hard enough to cause scratches, and no LSP is gonna solve that problem for you.

MattPersman
12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I think they all are going to protect against scratches the same. pick a product that fits your availability desire (mail order or OTC) and price range, perhaps based on other`s reviews and buy it. there are way too many that are better than decent in looks and durability

a.k.a. Patrick
12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
So don`t expect any LSP to prevent scratching

Period..........

Wolf-Strong
12-15-2007, 07:27 PM
After a few dicussions with some other people, I have given up on the whole scratch-resistant thing, so now my main concern is just pure protection against environmental containments. I will be doing ONR washes without pre-rinsing (apartment complex), so I need a wax that will protect very well and not allow these containments to bond to the surface. I figure that will make it take less effort to wash the car, meaning it will help cut down on swirls.

Right now, the ideas people have given me on products that do this are DG105, Collnite (of course no one can agree on which one), NXT, and Zymol Titatium. Anyone else have any opinions on any of these or any other suggestions?

howareb
12-15-2007, 07:48 PM
. I will be doing ONR washes without pre-rinsing (apartment complex).

Why can`t you pre-rinse with ONR (Water-Restrictions, possibly)?

I think that pre-rinsing(QD Strength) is not a necessary step, but it sure helps to deter scratching. All you need is a sprayer/mister. (Excel Detail has some nice sprayers, but you could also pick one up at Walmart or HomeDepot).

About the waxes, I choose Collinite(either one will work very well). :)

a.k.a. Patrick
12-15-2007, 08:40 PM
Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection (UPP for short) would be one of my favored.

Accumulator
12-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Much as I do love UPP (only thing I use on the S8), I`d go with Collinite 476S for this one. 476S lasts an incredibly long time for me, and it sheds contamination very, very well. It also seem to offer unusually good protection against environmental contamination such as bird bombs and bugs (which often seem more likely to etch through my sealants than through the Collinite for some reason :nixweiss ).

Wolf-Strong
12-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Much as I do love UPP (only thing I use on the S8), I`d go with Collinite 476S for this one. 476S lasts an incredibly long time for me, and it sheds contamination very, very well. It also seem to offer unusually good protection against environmental contamination such as bird bombs and bugs (which often seem more likely to etch through my sealants than through the Collinite for some reason :nixweiss ).

Chalk another one up for 476 I guess. I will be ordering some Collnite wax for sure! On a bit of a side note, I will probably also be ordering some Zymol Titanium and doing a little side by side comparison.