PDA

View Full Version : How close is too close with a pressure washer?

Pages : [1] 2

5IVE
12-14-2007, 03:03 PM
gonna pay a visit to the coin-op today for the first time ever to get rid of some of this salt/grime on my car. I have no idea what psi it is set at. I have no comprehension of psi and how to estimate to be quite honest. How close can i get without risking damage to the paint? what about the wheels?

By the way...Im eating these coffee beans coated with dark chocolate and they are like little pieces of paradise in your mouth...a must try!

imported_DJ Mayo
12-14-2007, 03:50 PM
just start farther away and work your way in. It`s probably not set too powerful but who knows. Just don`t get any closer than about 4-5 feet and I`m sure you will be fine.

BigJimZ28
12-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Just don`t get any closer than about 4-5 feet and I`m sure you will be fine.

is that a joke or a typo?

I have never use a coin opp with enough power to do any dammage

just don`t hit the car with the tip and you should be OK

imported_DJ Mayo
12-14-2007, 04:01 PM
i have used one a few times and its actually pretty powerful. I don`t know if it would do any damage really but I was just trying to help someone. When detailing, I still stay atleast a few feet away from the car when using on the paint. Wheels are different.

BobD
12-14-2007, 04:05 PM
You`ll be fine. The only bad experience I have heard with them is the old crappy GM paint that peeled away from the primer and the pressure washer helped it along. LOL

jshillin
12-14-2007, 04:18 PM
You might as well use a plain water hose if you stay a couple feet away. You can get pretty close at a coin op with no worries.

Paulie Walnuts
12-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Those coin ops are nothing to be afraid of. If paint starts coming off you are too close.

BlueLibby04
12-14-2007, 06:38 PM
Around 6" is usually pretty good with those.

The carwash I use has plastic wands which works out great. Having a metal end never did make sense to me. :scared:

sinbad
12-14-2007, 08:28 PM
I`ve had wheel paint come off my Chevy 4x4. The paint could have already been broken from rock chips, etc. So go as close as you want, except where you might a rock chip or any paint defect which could come loose. Also avoid being too close in the wheel wells, I removed some factory winter proofing.

TrueDetailer
12-14-2007, 09:11 PM
coin ops usualy set the psi low just for their own safety. Who knows what wack job would try suing them for their own stupidity. Anyways, a safe distance is 2-4 inches if you`re blasting bugs off the front end. Stay about 8-10 inches away from chips and scratches. You don`t want that water causing a air pocket under the paint.

BigJimZ28
12-14-2007, 10:08 PM
i have used one a few times and its actually pretty powerful. I don`t know if it would do any damage really but I was just trying to help someone. When detailing, I still stay atleast a few feet away from the car when using on the paint. Wheels are different.

I am sure you were trying to help but 4-5 feet?

first thing I don`t think there is enough roon in a coin opp for that

second at that distance if would on be a mist and you might as well be using a spray bottle

Saintlysins
12-15-2007, 02:44 PM
My two cents say’s “BigJimZ28†and “TrueDetailer†are as good advice as I would offer.

imported_Picus
12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
I do this all the time, I put the nozzle inches from the paint, sometimes as close as an inch or two. I`ve never had an issue. I stuff it right in my wheel wells and wheels.

5IVE
12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
thanks for the info guys...for those of you who hold the nozzle 2-6" from the paint, what psi is it set at? what is the maximum acceptable setting for paint? What about clearcoated wheels? Thanks again!

Harry Houdini
12-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I still stay 4-5 feet away for the first rinse down after I foam the car up with Cam Spray.

Better safe than sorry unless you detail for a living and don`t care ;)