PDA

View Full Version : 12`x37` Deatail job (Motorhome)

Stan's Customs
07-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Hello..

I`m in the process of finishing a 14 month 1988 motorhome restoration. The whole coach is new from the drive to the interior, tires, appliances and carpet. All that is left is the outside which really is in good condition except for faded stripes on the nose and the same on the very rear or the coach. I have decided to clear coat the whole rig after blending the front and rear stripes in with new paint. Mainly to gain the high gloss that is easier to wash...and to make the outside look like the rest of the coach..new!

Since the rig is way bigger than my shop opening...I was wondering if anyone knew of a quality clear coat that was quick drying enough to shoot outdoors on a calm early morning.

Needs to be something that wouldn`t be tacky after 30/40 minutes and could be touched up easily.

Thanks...SM

Koop
07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
wow that`s a toughy. I wanna say limco (sp?) has a fast drying clear. And heck it`s cheep enough to give a shot. I`ve never used it myslef, but it was a pretty popular alt to our expensive paint we used at my old shop. Woth looking into anyways. Other than that I`ve never heard of a "fast drying" clear. Couldn`t u just rent a shop with a bigger door? You could also think about tenting it. It would be a big tent for sure, but I bet it would work.

Stan's Customs
07-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Hey Koop..

Well I guess a tent would work but probably cost as much as the paint...if we are talking about sheet plastic or something. Plus some kind of frame work etc. etc....

The sides and ends are all that has to be cleared...the coach has a good bit of glass...so maybeI could paint it in panels ...I was just thinking along the lines of something that had a fast dry time (like the old laquers) but maybe used a fast acting catalyst and had a shine without buffing.. unless I had to, to get some trash out.

I use clears extensively in detailing...just am not up to speed on what`s happening in the paint world...Done lotsa` hot rod complete paint jobs, but this is different. Kinda like painting your house....except for the shingles..har

Getting where all the paint retailers know much about is the base/clears...all the old hands have retired and the body shops don`t do much except insurance work...and arn`t interested in any thing else. Its almost like they hate the work...don`t want to even talk about custom stuff.