PDA

View Full Version : Woolite for Leather

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

widyhs
12-12-2007, 10:38 PM
I have heard a lot about Woolite beng used for interior. I was hoping someone could shed the light on the type of Woolite used to clean leather. Any input is appreciated. TIA

Scottwax
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
The regular liquid laundry soap version. Mix 6 parts water to 1 part Woolite for heavy soil, 10:1 for light/normal soil.

ScreaminSaleen
12-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Woolite works really well on leather. Most of the time I use all purpose cleaner diluted 10:1.

Paulie Walnuts
12-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Scott do you use the laundry soap as well for your interior cleaning like dashboards et al at the 10:1 ratio.

widyhs
12-13-2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the prompt feed. I bought the one for dark clothes, assuming that it will help with the dye running issue. I will get the regular one then. Thanks.

tod071
12-13-2007, 01:45 AM
I`ve just started using Woolite myself and have seen great results. However, there is the argument that water is not good for the leather and could dry out the leather over time. Can anyone rebut this? I mean the statement is true, but I need a little better explanation than "Autopians use it, so its all good" :p

stiffdogg06
12-13-2007, 02:13 AM
I`ve just started using Woolite myself and have seen great results. However, there is the argument that water is not good for the leather and could dry out the leather over time. Can anyone rebut this? I mean the statement is true, but I need a little better explanation than "Autopians use it, so its all good" :p

I would think even if you do use Woolite with water and the water dries it out, The conditioner you use should bring it back to life. But then again, what leather cleaner doesn`t dry it out? Thats why I always see companies that have leather cleaners also sell leather conditioners.

P1et
12-13-2007, 08:14 AM
I have yet to find a product that cleans leather better than the Woolite mix! Always follow up with a good conditioner afterwards.

seaz4
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I clean mine my Woolite (10:1), then follow up with Lexol confitioner/preserver. Works great. I heard Cadiallac even recommends using a product such as woolite to clean their leather.

Scottwax
12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
I heard Cadiallac even recommends using a product such as woolite to clean their leather.

Lexus recommends a 5% wool safe detergent solution (20:1) to clean leather. Not sure if that would be strong enough for really dirty leather though.

Ryan-I use the Woolite/water mix on vinyl too.

imported_Grouse
12-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I prefer the leather masters system.

It contains much less water, does not dry the leather out like scotwax`s method. It takes longer so i charge for it.

I have gone on and on a 100 times about water and leather, if you want a more detailed explanation, search for leather masters under my name.

Bert
12-13-2007, 01:26 PM

I would have thought laundry soap would dry out leather fast than water but, shows what I know.

Todd@RUPES
12-13-2007, 01:45 PM
I prefer the leather masters system.

It contains much less water, does not dry the leather out like scotwax`s method. It takes longer so i charge for it.

I have gone on and on a 100 times about water and leather, if you want a more detailed explanation, search for leather masters under my name.

I agree Grouse. I wouldn`t want my clients to see me using laundry soap on there cars, and I feel there are better ways to do it. I personally think the woolite thing (while it probably has a place) is a hack way of do it. But I guess thats my nature, if there is a better way of doing it, then I feel like I am selling my clients short by not offering it.

BigChevMan
12-13-2007, 02:26 PM
I agree Grouse. I wouldn`t want my clients to see me using laundry soap on there cars, and I feel there are better ways to do it. I personally think the woolite thing (while it probably has a place) is a hack way of do it. But I guess thats my nature, if there is a better way of doing it, then I feel like I am selling my clients short by not offering it.

Can you proove that your way is a better way of doing it? I bet if you compared the ingredients in half of the "leather cleaners" they would be suspiciously similar to woolite. Anything you use to clean the leather will dry it out to a certain extent. That`s the point!

Leather is a skin...just like you have on your body. Being that it is stabilized via tanning it will only hold so much moisture to begin with anyway. Most dirt you see is just excess moisture/oils that have combined with dirt to create a spot. On your skin this would result in pimples. Since leather is tanned it doesn`t develop pimples obviously. Once you clean the old dirty oils off via whatever method you choose you reapply conditioners. Same idea as if you whipped out the Noxema or other saliyatic acid treatment for your face and then followed that up with a moisturizer.

Anything any leather product claims that they don`t dry out the leather is just a lot of marketing surrounding very little fact.

budman3
12-13-2007, 02:50 PM

Most of the leather today is `coated` like paint is clear coated. So just like a paint cleaner cleans CC paint, a leather cleaner cleans the coating on the leater, not the leather hide itself. That being said the coated leather is a lot more durable and easier to maintain compared to uncoated leather. I have never heard anything about water drying out coated leather but I would assume that is talking about soaking the leather in water, not gently wiping it down with a woolite mix. And then topping the cleaned seats with a protectant (water based...) and its good to go.

TH001- correct me if I`m wrong but my method to cleaning leather is to use a cleaner and then apply a protectant. Is there a better way to do that? Is there more to just cleaning and protecting that you use in your process?? A little off topic but do you use water based tire dressings on your customer`s cars?