PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean cracked leather?

tjwoodson1
12-12-2007, 10:31 PM
I just recently purchased a 1999 BMW 323i from a man in North Carolina. He didn`t take very much care of the interior. The leather is light grey, but it cracked and has a black residue on them. What is the best process to remove these spots without damaging the leather?

baseballlover1
12-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Im going to be purchasing leatherique to see how good it is. I have only heard AMAZING things about it. I have lexol and sonus cleaner and conditioner, maybe we will get together soon and test them out. O and i also have the zaino cleaner and conditioner, which even though other people dont like it i like a lot.

detaildoc
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
I just recently purchased a 1999 BMW 323i from a man in North Carolina. He didn`t take very much care of the interior. The leather is light grey, but it cracked and has a black residue on them. What is the best process to remove these spots without damaging the leather?

Any leather cleaner should be fine, but if the spots don`t come out, try Ultima Interior Shampoo with the scrubbing side of the Ultima Applicator.

brwill2005
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
The cracking you are referring to is actually cracks in the coating on the leather. There is nothing you can do to remove the cracks short of sanding and re-dyeing. You can clean to improve the overall appearance of the seats, but the cracks will remain. Try a gentle cleanser; some like Woolite diluted with water.

detaildoc
12-12-2007, 10:44 PM
The cracking you are referring to is actually cracks in the coating on the leather. There is nothing you can do to remove the cracks short of sanding and re-dyeing. You can clean to improve the overall appearance of the seats, but the cracks will remain. Try a gentle cleanser; some like Woolite diluted with water.

I have seen some amazing results with Leatherique, even on badly worn-out and cracked leather.

brwill2005
12-12-2007, 10:46 PM
I have seen some amazing results with Leatherique, even on badly worn-out and cracked leather.

If the coating on the leather is indeed cracked, even leatherique is not going to magically mend the cracks.

widyhs
12-13-2007, 01:59 AM
Didnt leatherique have dye that can be ordered to match the leather to seal fill in the cracks?

widyhs
12-13-2007, 02:02 AM
Leatherique Seat restoration (http://home.insightbb.com/~todd.kenyon/leather.htm)

brwill2005
12-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Yes they do sell dye and crack filler, but that would be a whole different process of sanding, filling the `bad` cracks and re-dyeing. The poster above was referring to the Leatherique Oil, I believe, which absolutely will not repair cracks in leather.