PDA

View Full Version : About Foam Guns

detaildoc
12-11-2007, 01:31 AM
I have been thinking about getting a foam gun from autogeek to further reduce chances of new swirl marks. Will using a foam gun remove some of the wax/sealant on my car? What have been your experiences with foam guns? I plan to use it with Ultima Paint Guard Wash and either my wool mitten or a sea sponge.

Chris@Optimum
12-11-2007, 01:39 AM
I got mine directly from Gilmour customer service for $40. From what the guys on here are telling me, it`s about choosing a shampoo with plenty of lube to not scratch. DP Extreme foam is the only one made espedially for these guns.

imported_Jakerooni
12-11-2007, 08:48 AM
I just got mine from Autogeek last week. It`s definatly a fun toy. But don`t take it as a hands free process. It`s not very effective at getting alot of the heavier stuff off (Like I tend to get around here alot) But if the car is mostly clean (like garage kept and never driven in the rain or snow) I`d say you could probably get it mostly clean with the foam gun. I think it`ll end up being a great marketing tool to get people in for the quick in and out washes in the summer. Not hugely effective but they are fun to play around with.

BobD
12-11-2007, 09:26 AM
A foam gun and how it works is hugely dependant on what shampoo you use in it. A foam guns MAIN purpose is to create foam that will lift the loose dirt away from the surface when washing. Don`t expect miracle with heavy or caked on dirt.

Accumulator
12-11-2007, 01:34 PM
I`ve been using the foamgun at every wash for years. The way I do it (constant flushing with foamgun, dislodge-and-flush approach) is gentle on my LSPs. If you let a really strong foam shampoo-mix dwell on the paint for a really long time, I can see that compromising your LSP a bit faster.

As noted, the foamgun isn`t really a means of doing a touchless wash, at least not unless the vehicle is almost spotless to begin with.

FWIW, it took me dozens of washes to come up with the foamgun-centric technique that works for me. It`s not some automatic cure-all, but it *has* allowed me to basically eliminate regular marring removal, even after tough winters.

imported_sonyexec
12-11-2007, 02:21 PM
Isn`t using a "sea" sponge bad news to a car`s finish?? I understand they never really get all the sand out of those things so sand vs. paint = swirls. I might be wrong but this is something that has been growing and living in the ocean and has thousands of pores for sand to be trapped in. Why not just go the grout sponge route if you`re set on using a sponge, at under $2 a piece Im sure they are cheaper than sea sponges.

just my $0.02 worth

BobD
12-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I used a sea sponge on my old black car for years without troubles. You just have to rinse them out good when you get them.

imported_RedlineIRL
12-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Beisdes the DP soaps, have you all found anything that makes lots of foam? I`ve tried some OTCs and Z7, but they do not work all that well.

jimmie jam
12-11-2007, 08:39 PM
i have been using the eagle 1 OTC blue wash in my gilmour. very slick and slippery which is what i want for minimal marring. sponges make me very :nervous:

Byktor
12-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I have a Foam Gun and I use the Meguiar´s Hyper Wash.

I think that the foam gun is designed for use with higly concentrated Shampoo.

Greetings from México

jb1
12-11-2007, 09:16 PM
I have a Foam Gun and I use the Meguiar´s Hyper Wash.

I think that the foam gun is designed for use with higly concentrated Shampoo.

Greetings from México

How do you like the HW? I saw it when I was looking at the Hyper Dressing. I use DG in my foam gun for an entire soak on the entire vehicle and then I flood each panel as I wash it to keep a steady stream.

detaildoc
12-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Isn`t using a "sea" sponge bad news to a car`s finish?? I understand they never really get all the sand out of those things so sand vs. paint = swirls. I might be wrong but this is something that has been growing and living in the ocean and has thousands of pores for sand to be trapped in. Why not just go the grout sponge route if you`re set on using a sponge, at under $2 a piece Im sure they are cheaper than sea sponges.

just my $0.02 worth

I did get a grout sponge and it worked fine, though I think it does not spread the suds as well, so I am thinking of using it for windows, wheels, and lower panels instead, plus I dont like how it feels. I have heard that the sea sponge is a lot softer, but that you have to wash it well before you get it.

BlackElantraGT
12-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I`m curious about how well Hyper Wash will work also considering it`s one of the more concentrated soap I know of (400:1 dilution vs 128:1 IIRC). I came close to picking up a gallon just for use in the foam cannon, but Costco had a gallon of the Turtle Wax Platinum Ice car wash for less than $6 after tax. I mainly use mine as a pre-foam/rinse so I couldn`t pass that up as I just want something cheap. Once I`m out of this gallon I might get the Hyper Wash.

BigAl3
12-11-2007, 09:39 PM
i have been using the eagle 1 OTC blue wash in my gilmour.

same here. it produces a good amount of suds and is far better than other OTC soaps i`ve used...

Chris@Optimum
12-11-2007, 09:55 PM
I just ordered some TOL Bubble Bath, I will let ya know in a couple days if its good.