PDA

View Full Version : Oxidation help

streetstang03
12-09-2007, 11:22 PM
New member here needing some help removing oxidation from a black 2000 Mustang GT. My hood, decklid and roof seem to be plagued with oxidation. :mad: I`ve tried using Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax with no real success. I`m looking for a product recommendation that can be applied/removed by hand or with a cheapo electric orbital. I`m trying to get the car ready to sell and don`t want people being turned away by the site of a light haze on the paint or have to go out and spend a lot before I sell. I`ve been leaning towards Poorboy`s Polish with Carnauba-Blue or the Sonus Hand Polish Bundle here on Autopia. Any thoughts or opinions? Will it work with S100?

Products I have laying around my garage:

- Zaino Z2 & Z5

- S100

- Mothers clay bar

- Mothers carnauba cleaner wax

- TW Ultra Gloss paste

- NXT

- Megs Scratch-X

I attached some pics from a detail of clay/mothers cleaner wax/s100. It looks good until you get close and then you can see the oxidation haze :mad:

BigAl3
12-10-2007, 01:05 AM
first off :welcome if the oxidation is really bad there may be nothing you can really do (one would have to see it). since you`re selling it, i would suggest having a fellow autopian (someone who is obviously reputable) take a look at it and go from there (you do want it to looks it`s best right?). since you don`t have a rotary/pc, agressive products/pads, etc., you`re limited to what you can do if it`s fixable...

p.s. where are you located?

BigAl3
12-10-2007, 01:24 AM
first off :welcome without any of us not being able to see/inspect it in person, if the oxidation is really bad, there may not be anything you can really do (can you take a closer pic?). since you`re selling it, you should try to locate a fellow reputable autopian with all the right tools (rotary, pc, polish/compound, etc..) to take a look at it to see if it is fixable. where are you located?

p.s. most of the stuff you have listed, are lsp`s (last step products) and really have no significant cleaning power...

BigAl3
12-10-2007, 01:31 AM
can you take some close-up pics?

Envious Eric
12-10-2007, 02:18 AM
grab a cutting pad and some megs 66 cleaner wax...its mildly abrasive but its a chemical polish that will break down the oxidation....

jshillin
12-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Where are you located?? Might be better off paying a fellow autopian to hit those panels for you with a buffer/polisher...

cheapshot
12-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Megs #66 cleaner wax, is this the stuff that only comes in gallons?

I know a respectable detailing shop, that uses this product, I have always wanted to try it, but can`t seem to spring for the gallon.

I would recommend Klasse AIO, It`s a great cleaner, follow it up with nxt x2 then s100. you will be very impressed. AIO has never let me down, even by hand.

streetstang03
12-10-2007, 10:18 AM
can you take some close-up pics?

I`ll try to get some when the sun decides to start shining this week. Very cloudy and misty today. On really cloudy days like today, you can`t even see the haze.

Where are you located?? Might be better off paying a fellow autopian to hit those panels for you with a buffer/polisher...

San Antonio area

I would recommend Klasse AIO, It`s a great cleaner, follow it up with nxt x2 then s100. you will be very impressed. AIO has never let me down, even by hand.

I was thinking of AIO as well.

Has anyone had any success with the Sonus Hand Polish Bundle?

the other pc
12-10-2007, 12:49 PM
streetstang03, it comes down to how severe the oxidation is and how workable the paint is. The oxidation removal ability of products you’ve got now ranges from zero to really mild.

Assuming the oxidation doesn’t go deep enough to compromise the finish, you’ll need to step up in aggressiveness until you find what works effectively. That may be something a little more aggressive or it may by something truly heavy duty. It just depends on the paint.

Megs #66 cleaner wax, is this the stuff that only comes in gallons?

I know a respectable detailing shop, that uses this product, I have always wanted to try it, but can`t seem to spring for the gallon..... ADS (http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/meguiars-66-quick-detailer.htm) sells #66 in a 12 oz. sample size.

PC.