PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on tire dressing!

Pages : [1] 2

Elonheater32
12-09-2007, 11:12 PM
I was at Target the other day and I saw Meguiar’s Hot Shine Tire Gel and I remembered how much of a hassle it was when I was using the spray tire dressing.

I thought it would be nice to be able to apply the tire dressing gel with an applicator and not get it all over the wheels. My qeustion was it seems as if the gel makes the tires look very slick or wet. I have noticed that this is a look that is not much desired at autopia.

A lot of people perfer that new natural tire look and I think I would too.....maybe??? So I was hoping you guys could give me your opinions so I would know whats in and out in car detailing since I`m a newbie.

Thanks

BigAl3
12-09-2007, 11:17 PM
i`ve had good results with this gel...

http://armorall.com/img/products/wheel_tire/r_arm_etsgelcrtn_0706.jpg

BigJimZ28
12-09-2007, 11:18 PM
it`s not about what we like

it`s about what YOU like

ron231
12-09-2007, 11:22 PM

Good results if you want your tires to look greasy, slimey, and shinier than your paint... :scared:

I much prefer natural looking tires (low-medium gloss) but I guess some still prefer the greasy look although I can`t understand why.

CG natural shine and #40 are great tire dressings IMO :xyxthumbs

stiffdogg06
12-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Poorboys World Bold N` Bright.

DanSTi
12-09-2007, 11:32 PM
I just recently tried Chemical Guys Silk Shine and I love it. It`s water based so no messy goo all over the place and the shine is noticeable but not in your face.

todd@bsaw
12-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Here`s four pages of opinion...

http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/97573-tire-dressings-gel-liquids.html?highlight=tire+gel

Chris@Optimum
12-10-2007, 12:28 AM
I use Best Dressed from TOL 1:2 on outer tread then Scott`s blue ice gel 1:1 on the rest of the tire with a applicator. It took me a year to find this look through trial and error and it`s still just what I like: high sheen, not high shine. I would advise using professional detailing products instead of the OTC consumer stuff, better results no matter what you choose.

optimusp517
12-10-2007, 12:29 AM

I really like this Armor All Product as well. I think it`s not as glossy as Meguiar`s. I also really enjoy Meguiar`s Detail Line. You get to mix your own ratio varying from satin finish to glossy finish and even the glossy finish isn`t as glossy as the gel products. Only ting I don`t like is it`s a spray product.

BigAl3
12-10-2007, 12:44 AM
I would advise using professional detailing products instead of the OTC consumer stuff, better results no matter what you choose.

this isn`t always the case, but your entitled to your opinion. i`ve had excellent results with some OTC products...

Chris@Optimum
12-10-2007, 12:48 AM
this isn`t always the case, but your entitled to your opinion...

Yeah and I ain`t tried them all either, just that with other products too they dumb them down for OTC.:bigups

PROServices
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I like the Megs Detail line... They are water based and I like being able to control the gloss level... For tires the water based comes in handy when they arent quite dry, you can spray wipe and they will still finish out nice and even.

FYI dont let the whole water based thing scare you... its like the automotive finishes... water based refers to the method of delivery not the products durabuility once cured.

DirtySouth
12-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Tire dressing is very expensive considering how long a typical can or bottle lasts. That is why I get it in bulk. A gallon of Meg`s Hyper Dressing is going to last me around 2 years and you can dillute it to whatever level you prefer. I mixed up a spray bottle of 1:4 and then apply it with an Eagle One foam applicator.

Don`t worry about what others like in terms of glossiness. Apply whatever level of shine you prefer.

imported_Blake
12-10-2007, 07:31 PM
There definitely is not one answer for this one. It is a matter of personal preference plus to some degree the construction/composition of the tire. The gels can be difficult to apply to tires with finely grooved sidewalls. Some products are more forgiving to poor application methods. Some tire compositions don`t hold the material like others (streak).

I like the Hot Shine Gel, Armorall Gel, Mothers Tire Shine FX, PB BNB, but for the winter I prefer the gels as they seem to have a longer life on our crappy roads.

imported_raddogz
12-13-2007, 03:20 PM
I use the Blackfire Tire Dressing gel - it leaves a nice satin finish.