PDA

View Full Version : What to use for unpainted black plastic trim

wfedwar
12-08-2007, 11:49 AM
I have tried many products for black trim and nothing I have used makes it through even a light rain. Everything either has visible streaks on the trim or gives an oily film on the paint. Things like Z16, Stoner Trim Shine, etc, all do this. Is there anything that works and hols up to a little water? Thanks in advance.

Billy

stiffdogg06
12-08-2007, 11:59 AM
I`ve good success with Hi-Temps Bumper & Molding Renew.

Accumulator
12-08-2007, 12:26 PM
When the trim is in good shape I use a regular LSP. On the MPV its KSG, on the Blazer its Collinite wax (over 1Z polish), on the Jag its Souveran, on the S8 its UPP.

JBs
12-08-2007, 01:49 PM
forever black is what i use....

for a dressing though, i don`t know, i just use 303 protectant.

BigJimZ28
12-08-2007, 02:31 PM
KAIO & KSG will last way longer then any dressing

BlueLibby04
12-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Ive had good luck with Megs Trim Detailer. It will last through a couple washes.

imported_dirtdiggler
12-08-2007, 06:39 PM
Someone suggested turtlwax ice. A coworker gave me leftover bottle gave it a try and it worked pretty darn good.. btw - i applied it on my FJ Cruiser black plastic fenders.

ScreaminSaleen
12-08-2007, 07:07 PM
I`ve always had good luck with PB`s Trim Restorer.

Richard@BlackWOW
12-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Of course I would suggest Black Wow. =) It`s what I use on all the cars I detail and it`s huge in the MINI community and over in the UK..check out detailingworld.co.uk Paul Dalton of Miracle Detail in the UK recently rated it a 10/10. Doesn`t streak or run in the rain. Can be applied then be wet seconds later with no ill effects.

Way2SSlow
12-09-2007, 09:57 AM
When the trim is in good shape I use a regular LSP. On the MPV its KSG, on the Blazer its Collinite wax (over 1Z polish), on the Jag its Souveran, on the S8 its UPP.

I started using KAIO and KSG after I read one of Accumulators posts about it. It`s worked well for me so far.

Cleaning Fool
12-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Good ol fashion black liquid Kiwi shoe polish. $3.99 at any drug store and lasts a year minimum

SVR
12-10-2007, 03:57 AM
Depending on the material - hand or machine polish them with non abrasive polishes or use Black Wow, Renu it Liner, Nyalic clear laquer or PB`s trim restorer

cheapshot
12-10-2007, 05:50 AM
I use 303 on door jam sills, side skirt and all black rubber and plastic trim. I apply using a small terry applicator(those used for waxing), wait awhile (15 minutes) then remove. Trim looks nice and black, no shine, maybe a tad bit if any! for the most part it makes them very black! it lasts a few weeks also. It really does a fantastic job on keeping seals around doors/trunk and compartments soft and like new. I have been using it for a few years. My car is a 94 acura my seals are very soft, before i started using 303, they were a bit brittle. My dash and panels also look great, even when dirty, friends say wow you keep your car nice! it`s because they are looking at the very black dash (not grayish), with 303 on it. I notice when my dash gets a little dusty or its time for an exterior wash, I could sometimes just wipe down the interior without dressing, still looks great!

I also use 303 on for all interior dressing also .

If your trim is in bad shape you may need to forever black or some kind of permanent fix.