PDA

View Full Version : Soft/Hard Paint List...anyone??

Twista616
12-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Hey All,

I did a couple of searches and found helpful information speraticly on the forums...

There are people on here that have done every make and model of the cars on the market today, and some people are just starting, sorta like myself...but I was wondering if there is a list that someone compiled of what cars have soft paint and which ones have hard paint. I think this list would come in hand for everyone, so in turn, they know what to start off with when polishing.

I just read a post where a guy used a 4" pad with a PC on a honda, and burned right through. :wall I was his second time using a PC. If he would have known hondas have soft paints, he could have used a less abbrasive polish, or even a 5.5 pad or 6.5 pad.

If everyone is willing to chime in, I`ll compline a list and maybe we can sticky it!:idea

Mobilejay
12-07-2007, 10:40 AM
I guess I will try to help. If I`m wrong please let me know.

Vettes, well all GM are hard but then I heard that Escalades are soft? Mercedes after 1997 (I think) are hard, pre 97 soft ( I believe) BMW I have heard is hard but some colors are soft. Fords are softer. Range Rover soft, Infinity soft, Nissan hard(or maybe thats backwards) Some one elses turn

Twista616
12-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Haha, thanks MobileJay...no answer is wrong!! Then again, someone might have experienced a Nissan with soft paint, the car may have been respayed or soemthing. So no answer is wrong!

Thanks for the input...whos next or can confirm MobileJays post??!?

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Clear Coat Toughness - Car Care, Car Wax and Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/6553-clear-coat-toughness.html)

Twista616
12-07-2007, 11:23 AM
MotorCity<----Awesome! Thanks, I knew someone had done it before! Just couldnt find it and thats prob why! Its not even on Autopia!!

Thanks again!!

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-07-2007, 11:38 AM
MotorCity<----Awesome! Thanks, I knew someone had done it before! Just couldnt find it and thats prob why! Its not even on Autopia!!

Thanks again!!

you are welcome!

BuffMe
12-07-2007, 04:16 PM
That may be a good guide for a starting point, but many cars will differ. One example I can think of right off the bat is a 1995 Lexus SC400 I did. Lexus is listed as soft paint but this one was just as hard, or more so, than my GM paint.

Again, good starting point, but I doubt there can ever be a definitive list.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
12-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Again, good starting point, but I doubt there can ever be a definitive list.

Agreed............

Anomaly
12-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Great thread!

It’s good to see that I’m not alone in trying to figure out what types of paint are on what cars. I was looking into this information for my Z.

Anyways, a collection of soft, medium, and hard paints by vehicle type could be done with all the experience of Autopians. Maybe using a series of polls for some of the more common vehicles getting detailed?

BuffMe
12-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Simplest way is just have a thread that lists the car detailed and hardness of paint. However, then we get into extremely opinion-based things, which may end up like asking "how long does your wax last?". Well, what do you mean last? What type of protection/properties must it have and for what period of time... etc. One person`s beading is another person`s cue to reapply. blah blah... So, what do you define "hard" clear coat as? More than x pass(es) with your "go to" stuff? More than x hours spent? Heavier cut pad than an x pad?

Anyways, good luck and I am optimistic, trust me. These are just things that I see becoming inevitable :)