PDA

View Full Version : Removing wheel weight adhesive from inner wheel

74 thing
12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Can you give me some ideas/products to use to remove the wheel weight adhesive from the inside of the wheels? Nothing I have tried has worked-this stuff is tough and thick.

BigJimZ28
12-05-2007, 11:10 PM
scrape off what you can

then use WD-40 to remove the rest

BlueLibby04
12-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I had the same problem. Got a set of rims from someone and it had those weights on the inside. I just scrapped all I could off with the plastic handle of a brush and called it a day.

What PO`ed me even more was when I had the tires balanced. The place used the old hammer on weights on the inside of the rim which was ok by me but they left some old stick on weights on the inside of the rim?! If it ever falls off(and it will), Ill have to get that wheel re-balanced. :rolleyes:

I guess thats my fault since I thought about it before but thought for sure they would take care of it. Stupid me for trusting someone else. :grinno:

Rickrack
12-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Use a solvent or WD-40 to soften up the adhesive and scrape it off with a plastic razor blade. Clean off any excess with some solvent or WD-40 on a rag. Works like a charm!

Accumulator
12-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I use 3M Adhesive Remover. Let it dwell for a while (saturate a rag and use something to hold that rag against the adhesive residue. Scrape (carefully) with a plastic razor blade, clay, polish, seal.

If the adhesive is really tough, it can take a while.

Fly Bye
12-06-2007, 01:24 PM
You can always use brake cleaner in a localized area with an old cotton terry towel. Works every time. Just spray the brake cleaner directly to the towel, not the wheel.

Works like a charm.

mixxer
12-06-2007, 05:33 PM
brake clean

AP2TUDE
12-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Actual tire shops use the 3M adhesive remover and a plastic scraper to get it off. Let the adhesive remover sit on it for a little bit, and then scrape it off. Use the adhesive remover again and a towel to remove the rest of the remnants.

turtle
12-06-2007, 07:31 PM
use brake cleaner & then use a putty knife or blade type, then wipe it down with a rag. Works for me about 8 hours everyday.