PDA

View Full Version : Need help with winter!

John814
12-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I have a brand new (less than 3 months old) VW Rabbit, black on black. I have only hand washed it, but it had swirls in it from the dealer (presuming a courtesy autowash or from factor like that). Problem is, winter is here in Indiana, and it`s next to near impossible to hand wash...

So, question of the year is - can I run the bunny through Mike`s Car Wash (the safest one around here)? I put some Zymol wax on it a month ago, that`s all the protection on it. I don`t have time, nor is it warm enough for any other waxes or protectants.

I have another vehicle (Ford Explorer AWD), but it`s V8 and a gas-guzzler, and I want to be able to drive my VW.

Almost certain I am moving, however, in Feb. or March - to AZ, where I will get it swirl-free and handwash only...

So, again, can I run it through auto washes or is that suicide?

Old Pirate
12-05-2007, 06:22 PM
ONR in the garage if you have one and forget the car wash it`s going to get more swirls, or use the coin op wash when there is a break of cold weather (above 45 ) or just wait till you moved to AZ and give it a proper detail. Hope this helps.....

John814
12-05-2007, 06:22 PM
what`s ONR?

todd@bsaw
12-05-2007, 06:25 PM
This may sound very un-Autopian, but I would run it through a touchless wash once per week (or as needed) this winter until you can properly correct and treat the paint in the Spring. Being a new black car it is going to be a lot of work to correct anyway (hard VAG paint), so save the hard work for later.

Old Pirate
12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine, try using the seach buttom on this and your find lots of great inform on ONR. It`s up to you John if you want to use a car wash.