PDA

View Full Version : Can cold weather damage clay?

Bert
12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
When cold weather came in, I took all my liquid products out of the garage and into the house to prevent freezing. I left behind towels, mitts, applicators, brushes, and buffer pads. What about clay? Can cold weather damage it? I doubt it but I wanted to make sure. I won`t be claying again to spring but the clay has been out in the garage the past few nights and it has dropped below freezing a few times. I am guessing the clay is OK, right?

richy
12-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I left mine outside in the garage, although it is insulated. I think it`ll be fine unless you try to use it in the cold, which it obviously would not be as pliable. Bloody depressing bringing everything in though!

Brian_Brice
12-05-2007, 01:33 PM
It should be just fine, if you plan on using it just run it under warm water prior to doing so.

Macruz19
12-05-2007, 02:17 PM
I think it`s better than being in hot weather IMO...

Bert
12-05-2007, 02:27 PM
It should be just fine, if you plan on using it just run it under warm water prior to doing so.

Thanks for the reply, I probably won`t use it again till March. I don`t like to clay unless I will follow up with a coat of sealant but with the temperatures being under 40, I am told applying a sealant is not a good idea in temps that low. Not sure why, I guess it doesn`t bond or cure properly right.

Bert
12-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I think it`s better than being in hot weather IMO...

True, I tried claying one time in August and the warm temperatures made the clay a pain in the butt. I gave up and resumed claying at 2 in the morning when it cooled down some.