PDA

View Full Version : Directional

Oil
12-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Was Miagi onto something?

Is one motion better than another? Side-to-side, clockwise, counter, cross-hatching?

Or maybe apply your polish or wax, clockwise then buff counter-clockwise...

a.k.a. Patrick
12-05-2007, 09:43 AM
I dunno! I UDM everything, then remove in lineal motion, no circles.....

Accumulator
12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Oil- Welcome to Autopia!

As long as you`re not instilling any marring (straight scratches don`t show quite as badly as circular/elliptical ones) it shouldn`t make any difference. As a.k.a. Patrick alluded to regarding the UDM, a lot of us use random orbital machines for this sort of thing and they move in, well, random orbits.

PTRon
12-05-2007, 12:58 PM
If you`re polishing and/or waxing by hand - do the horizontal panels (hood, roof, trunk) front-to-back, vertical panels (doors, fenders) up-and-down. It has to do with how the light hits the paint.

imported_Gears
12-06-2007, 06:57 AM
If you`re polishing and/or waxing by hand - do the horizontal panels (hood, roof, trunk) front-to-back, vertical panels (doors, fenders) up-and-down. It has to do with how the light hits the paint.

I`ve read that "detailing tip" on a few product sites but don`t have any proof that it works.

Unless one of our respected members can confirm this I have my doubts that it matters.

I`ve tried it both ways and could not see any difference.

Accumulator
12-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Gears- I`ve never seen a difference either, and I can`t help but wonder how it`s supposed to work :think: It`s not like the LSP is directional or anything...and it`s not like a hand-applied job (where the direction can be controlled) looks better than a machine-applied job (where the direction *can`t* be controlled).

Nobody`s ever explained the supposed benefit in a way that makes sense to me..it`s not like there`s a "grain" to the LSP that`ll refract the light in some weird way.

That`s not a slam at you, PTRon, I figure it`s something you read/heard about. And hey, it`s not like doing it directionally will cause any problems as long as you get a good uniform application.

cjbigcog
12-06-2007, 01:59 PM
I read about this same thing a few years ago on the Zaino website. Perhaps thats where it started.

imported_Gears
12-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Accumulator- Thanks for response, you were one of the "respected members"

I was referring to. :bow